What values of m as a function of q satisfy this trigonometric equation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
LmdL
Messages
72
Reaction score
1
I have a trigonometric equation
[tex]2\sin \left ( \frac{q\pi }{m} \right )-\sin \left ( \frac{q\pi }{2} \right )=0[/tex]
and want to know what values m as a function of q could take to satisfy the equation. Both terms zero is the obvious solution: q=2n; m=2; n is an integer. But there are more solutions. I tried to use different kinds of trigonometric identities, with no luck.
The best I could get is
[tex]m=\frac{q\pi}{\arcsin \left ( \frac{1}{2}\sin \left ( \frac{q\pi }{2} \right ) \right )}[/tex]
which for q=2n gives q/m is an integer.
Is there a more elegant general solution?

Thanks!
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You found an expression of m as function of q. What else do you need?
You can add +2 pi * k at a suitable place (where you take the arcsine) to get the other solutions for m.
 
I'm in doubt if there is a simpler expression involving q,m,π and probably n (integer). Without trigonometric functions.