1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting direction of force of two point charges on a third

1. Feb 10, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the direction of the force F on the -10 nC charge in the figure? Give your answer as an angle measured cw from the +x-axis.
    Express your answer using two significant figures.
    26.P39.jpg
    2. Relevant equations
    ##F = k\frac{Qq}{r^2}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started by getting the components of the net force. The force between the two negative charges will be ##F_1## and the one between the -10 and +15 charges will be ##F_2##.
    ##F_1 = <0, -y> \longrightarrow F_{1x} = k\frac{(5\times10^{-9})(10\times10^{-9})}{0.01^2}##
    ##F_1 = <0, -0.004495>##
    ##F_2 = <-x, y> \longrightarrow F_{2t} = k\frac{(15\times10^{-9})(10\times10^{-9})}{(0.03^2 + 0.01^2)}##
    ##\theta = \tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{3}) \longrightarrow F_2 = <-\cos(\theta)\bullet F_{2t}, \sin(\theta)\bullet F_{2t}>##
    ##F_t = <-0.0012793, -0.0040685>##
    All of this math appears to be correct, because when I calculate the net force (##F_t = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} \approx 4.3\times10^{-3}##) I get the right answer.
    So, now I just need to find the angle, in degrees, clockwise from the positive x-axis, but whatever I'm doing appears to be wrong. Given these components, the vector should be in the third quadrant. So, I tried calculating the inverse tangent of the y over the x components of the total force (##\tan^{-1}(\frac{y}{x}) \approx 17.45##°), and I should be getting the right angle (I've even drawn it out and checked multiple times) if I subtract this answer from 180°, giving 162.55°, which should be 160° to 2 significant figures. But this is incorrect. What am I missing?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I haven't checked your entire calculation. But, does F1 point in the negative x direction?

4. Feb 10, 2017 #3
    Yeah, I mixed up a lot of signs and axes in my OP, but it looks like I did so in my work as well - I had the x- and y-components for the final force switched up, hence why I got the right force magnitude but not direction. Thanks for pointing it out! That let me get the right answer (just had to switch the numbers I was putting in the arctan).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted