Electric field at a point affected by two charges

In summary: Appreciate your help!In summary, the strength of the electric field at the position indicated by the dot is 1.77x10^13 N/C and its direction is 17.01° measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. The distance between Q2 and the point should be recalculated to 0.1118 meters and extra decimal places should be kept in intermediate values to avoid rounding errors. The angle for the field direction should be a bit larger than 17°, but not close to 63°. Overall, there are no other errors in the calculations.
pbj_sweg

Homework Statement

(a) What is the strength of the electric field at the position indicated by the dot?
(b) What is the direction of the electric field at the position indicated by the dot? Specify direction as an angle measured ccw from the positive x-axis.

Enhanced_2_final.jpg

##Q_{1} = 4.0 C##
##Q_{2} = 9.0 C##

Homework Equations

$$\vec{E} = \frac{Kq}{r^2}$$
$$\text{Pythagorean's Theorem:}~a^2+b^2=c^2$$
$$K = 9\times10^{-9}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) ##\vec{E_{1}}## = effect of ##Q_{1}## on point
##\vec{E_{2}}## = effect of ##Q_{2}## on point

##\vec{E_{1}} = \frac{KQ_{1}}{r^2} = \frac{K(4~C)}{r^2} = \frac{K(4~C)}{0.05^2} = 1.44\times10^{13} \frac{N}{C}##
##E_{1}\hat{i} = 1.44\times10^{13} \frac{N}{C}##
##E_{1}\hat{j} = 0 ~ \frac{N}{C}##

distance between ##Q_{2}~## and the point was found with Pythagorean's Theorem to be ~0.118 m.
##\vec{E_{2}} = \frac{KQ_{2}}{r^2} = \frac{K(9~C)}{r^2} = \frac{K(9~C)}{0.118^2} = 5.8\times10^{12} \frac{N}{C}##

Breaking ##\vec{E_{2}}## into it's components:
##E_{2}\hat{i} = E_{2}(\sin(\theta)) = 2.596\times10^{12} \frac{N}{C}##
The angle is between the long leg of the triangle and the hypotenuse and was found using tan(0.05/0.1) to get 26.57°.

##E_{2}\hat{j} = E_{2}(\cos(\theta)) = 5.192\times10^{12} \frac{N}{C}##

##E\hat{i} = E_{1}\hat{i} + E_{2}\hat{i} = 1.44\times10^{13} + 2.596\times10^{12} = 1.696\times10^{13}##
##E\hat{j} = E_{1}\hat{j} + E_{2}\hat{j} = 0 + 5.192\times10^{12} = 5.192\times10^{12}##

##| \vec E | = \sqrt{(1.696\times10^{13})^{2}+(5.192\times10^{13})^{2}} = 1.77\times10^{13}##

(b) direction of electric field is ##\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{5.192\times10^{12}}{1.696\times10^{13}}\right)## = 17.01°.

Both parts of the question are incorrect, and I'm 99% sure the second part is incorrect because the components of the electric field on the point are incorrect. Could someone please point out what I've done wrong? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
pbj_sweg said:
$$K = 9\times10^{-9}$$

Is this a typo? Or did you use this value?

Recalculate your distance value for Q2. You should keep a few extra decimal places in intermediate values such as this distance. This is to prevent rounding/truncation errors from creeping into your significant figures. Only round at the end for your final results.

Student100 said:
Is this a typo? Or did you use this value?
Sorry, that's a typo. It's to the 9th power. I used the correct value.

Last edited:
gneill said:
Recalculate your distance value for Q2. You should keep a few extra decimal places in intermediate values such as this distance. This is to prevent rounding/truncation errors from creeping into your significant figures. Only round at the end for your final results.
Correct distance should be 0.1118 meters instead. I got my final answer to be ##1.82\times10^{13}## which is still wrong. I also didn't round until my final answer. Is there something wrong with my method instead?

pbj_sweg said:
Correct distance should be 0.1118 meters instead. I got my final answer to be ##1.82\times10^{13}## which is still wrong. I also didn't round until my final answer. Is there something wrong with my method instead?
Your result looks good. They may be quibbling about the significant figures though.

Also, what was your angle for the field direction?

upload_2017-2-10_22-55-37.png

Last edited:
gneill said:
Your result looks good. They may be quibbling about the significant figures though.

Also, what was your angle for the field direction?
I initially got an angle of 17.01° but after recalculating, using the picture you provided, I got 63.25°. Both are wrong :frown:. The program usually gives some kind of notification if the issue is with sig figs. Frankly, I think my technique is correct, so maybe MasteringPhysics just has the incorrect answer?

Your method for calculating the angle was okay. My figure shows the original field contributions by Q1 and Q2, not the net field. I probably should have added that (let me go back and change the figure). The angle should be a bit larger than 17°, but nowhere close to 63°.

gneill said:
Your method for calculating the angle was okay. My figure shows the original field contributions by Q1 and Q2, not the net field. I probably should have added that (let me go back and change the figure). The angle should be a bit larger than 17°, but nowhere close to 63°.
I see. Is there anything else wrong with my calculations? Thank you so much for your help!

I don't see any other problems.

gneill said:
I don't see any other problems.
Thank you, seems like the problem is just incorrect.

Related to Electric field at a point affected by two charges

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where electrically charged particles experience a force. It is represented by a vector quantity, with both magnitude and direction.

How is an electric field affected by two charges?

When two charges are present, the electric field at a point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields produced by each charge. The direction of the resulting electric field is determined by the direction of the individual electric fields.

What is the formula for calculating the electric field at a point affected by two charges?

The formula for calculating the electric field at a point affected by two charges is E = k(Q1/r1^2) + k(Q2/r2^2), where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges, and r1 and r2 are the distances between the point and each charge.

How does the distance between two charges affect the electric field at a point?

The electric field at a point is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases.

What is the direction of the electric field at a point affected by two charges?

The direction of the electric field at a point affected by two charges is determined by the direction of the individual electric fields produced by each charge. The resulting electric field will be in the same direction as the net force on a positive test charge placed at that point.