Getting in to Grad School for CS

In summary, -Your chances of getting into a top tier school like MIT or Stanford are slim, but if you're a top tier student your GPA and GRE scores are good enough.-Research experience is important, but it's hard to predict your chances. The best thing to do is apply to a lot of different schools and make sure you apply to several "safety" schools.-It's important to have a GPA above 3.5 and similar GRE scores. Your academic record will be hard to distinguish from other top tier students.
lessthanheart
I'm thinking about studying HCI or Computer Architecture in grad school, and I'm look at certain top tier colleges such as MIT, Stanford, CMU, and Berkeley.

What are my chances of getting into these schools?

• My current GPA is around 3.85 which I think puts me in the top 10% of the university and the department.
  • I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I could more than likely get an above average score (probably not 99 percentile though, cause I'm terrible at standardized tests).
  • I have had software engineering internships with two very well-known companies.

I don't know if that makes me competitive enough, so I just wanted to get some feedback.

Also, what are some HCI or Comp Arch school on the west coasts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, one thing you can do is find out how many students these schools accept collectively and compare that to the number of CS grads produced. If they accept 200 students and there are 10,000 CS grads per year, that tells you that you need to be in the top 2%.

Have you done any undergraduate research?

No, I have not.

Vanadium 50 said:
Well, one thing you can do is find out how many students these schools accept collectively and compare that to the number of CS grads produced. If they accept 200 students and there are 10,000 CS grads per year, that tells you that you need to be in the top 2%.

That's assuming all 10,000 CS grads apply to grad school... which is not the case. The total number of grads per year doesn't really matter, because many of them won't be competing with you for slots.

As an example of the overall difficulty, at the best programs I've seen for physics (MIT), they receive 600 apps per year and accept 35-40 (according to their website). I imagine it is probably comparable for CS -- it is really difficult.Anyways, your GPA sounds good, then it just comes down to recs, GRE, and research/work experience. There's not really a good way of predicting your chances. The best thing to do is just apply to a lot of different schools (at least 10) and make sure you apply to several "safety" schools so that you know you won't be screwed in the end. I applied for grad school this past fall and got rejected from almost all the schools I applied to, but I still got accepted to one school which was pretty good, so this strategy was effective for me.

mordechai9 said:
That's assuming all 10,000 CS grads apply to grad school... which is not the case. The total number of grads per year doesn't really matter, because many of them won't be competing with you for slots.

No, it only assumes that the very best students are applying for graduate school.

... how did you assume that?

I have heard that undergraduate research experience is important for getting into top graduate programs. I know anything is possible, but if you're in the business of maximizing your chances, at least one semester of some sort of research would be good.

For instance, consider that you will be competing for slots in top programs with other good students. Realistically, all of you will have > 3.5 GPA and similar GRE scores (which should probably be at least 1500 Q+V and Q close to 800). Such similar academic records are hard to distinguish.

This is where extracurriculars come in. You say you have internships. While these will help, most likely, in showing that you're a well rounded student, it probably won't be as beneficial as you'd like. Industry loves internships, but I think grad programs are more interested in your research potential, per se. Nothing demonstrates research potential like doing research (and maybe doing some tutoring...)

Anyway, your exceptional student will have several semesters of undergraduate research and possibly have his/her name on published papers. They will have presented at conferences or forums and immersed themselves in the culture of research while at the same time doing their undergraduate.

Is this bad information? Does the OP have the time or inclination to find some project to start working on? Is undergraduate research not important? The point of graduate school, at least I thought, was to teach you how to do research.

What are some good "safety" schools with decent program in HCI?

1. How important are my undergraduate grades for getting into grad school for CS?

Undergraduate grades are certainly a factor in the admissions process for grad school, but they are not the only factor. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

2. Do I need a specific undergraduate degree to get into grad school for CS?

No, many students from a variety of undergraduate backgrounds can be successful in grad school for CS. However, having a strong foundation in computer science and mathematics can be helpful in preparing for graduate level coursework.

3. How important is research experience for getting into grad school for CS?

Research experience is highly valued by admissions committees in the field of computer science. It demonstrates your ability to think critically and conduct independent research, which are important skills for graduate level study.

4. What other qualifications or experiences should I highlight in my application for grad school in CS?

In addition to research experience, admissions committees also look for strong letters of recommendation, a well-written personal statement, and relevant work or internship experience. It is also beneficial to have a strong understanding of your research interests and how they align with the program you are applying to.

5. Are there any specific standardized tests I need to take for grad school in CS?

Most graduate programs in computer science require applicants to take the GRE (Graduate Record Examination). Some programs may also require subject-specific tests, such as the GRE Computer Science Subject Test. It is important to research the specific requirements for each program you are applying to.