Getting involved with research without graduate degree?

In summary: If you have a good idea and are passionate about the topic, you can get involved with aging research with a Bachelors degree.
wj2cho
Hello,

I am studying mathematics and biology as an undergrad. I have always want to do a PhD, but due to having a B- average, I need to set up a realistic plan, (i.e, not going to grad school and try to find a job) although I have not given up hope entirely.

I am seriously interested in aging. Recent results from Harvard and Stanford seem to show that the fountain of youth is not entirely fictional and I wish to get involved with research in aging. But obviously I can't get into Harvard or Stanford, I will be more than happy if I can get involved anywhere though.

So I thought of doing my undergrad in bioinformatics, (similar to what I have done so far, I can just stay for one extra year) getting a job as a bioinformatics developer. I will keep on studying on my own, get to know the people who do research and maybe share my own thought over a cup of coffee.

If my research interests were in pure mathematics or theoretical physics, I would not even have posted this. I can just read new papers on ArXiv. But for biology, I will need access to all the expensive lab materials. So my question is, how much can I get involved, with just a bachelor's degree, specifically in aging research with a bachelor's degree?

Physics news on Phys.org
wj2cho said:
So my question is, how much can I get involved, with just a bachelor's degree, specifically in aging research with a bachelor's degree?
The quick answer is internships :)
@Ryan_m_b might have more advice

My wife conducts public health research studies (not aging specifically but similar type stuff) at a major university. She has a team of BS-level research associates whose job it is to implement the research. For example they recruit patients, take measurements, run stats, maintain databases, and collaborate on the paper writing. A lot of "large scale" research, and by that I mean the group is bigger than can be filled with grad students, is done by people with BS degrees. Often people do it a few years before going to graduate school.

Isn't a BSc in bioinformatics fine to get a job supporting PhD researchers at some lab or institution? Or at least at a company involved with bioinformatics/genomic data? Yeah, you won't be a true scientist but depending on how good your ideas are, the more influence you will have.

I'd say that as a biologist/bioinformatist it would be easier to get involved with research with just a BSc than with physics or math because there you would rather want a CS or engineering BSc as a supporting techician.

You can actually set up a mol. bio lab yourself and do a few experiments yourself. It is not that expensive. But of course it wouldn't be a way to generate the data you are looking for, but you can do a lot of stuff. Could be more of a hobby thing. I mean, compare that to a physics lab where almost everything is super expensive.

wj2cho said:
Hello,

I am studying mathematics and biology as an undergrad. I have always want to do a PhD, but due to having a B- average, I need to set up a realistic plan, (i.e, not going to grad school and try to find a job) although I have not given up hope entirely.

I am seriously interested in aging. Recent results from Harvard and Stanford seem to show that the fountain of youth is not entirely fictional and I wish to get involved with research in aging. But obviously I can't get into Harvard or Stanford, I will be more than happy if I can get involved anywhere though.

So I thought of doing my undergrad in bioinformatics, (similar to what I have done so far, I can just stay for one extra year) getting a job as a bioinformatics developer. I will keep on studying on my own, get to know the people who do research and maybe share my own thought over a cup of coffee.

If my research interests were in pure mathematics or theoretical physics, I would not even have posted this. I can just read new papers on ArXiv. But for biology, I will need access to all the expensive lab materials. So my question is, how much can I get involved, with just a bachelor's degree, specifically in aging research with a bachelor's degree?

I have two bachelors degree and my job at a national lab is essentially a research position. It's supporting the experiments proposed by the PhD's but I'm still doing research that can be published.

1. How can I get involved in research without a graduate degree?

There are several ways to get involved in research without a graduate degree. One option is to reach out to professors or researchers in your field of interest and inquire about volunteer or assistant positions. You can also look for research internships or programs through your university or other organizations. Additionally, you can attend conferences or workshops to network and learn about research opportunities.

2. What skills do I need to have to be involved in research without a graduate degree?

To be involved in research without a graduate degree, it is important to have strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a strong background in the subject area. Other useful skills include attention to detail, time management, and communication skills. It is also helpful to have some experience with research methods and data analysis.

3. Can I publish my research without a graduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to publish your research without a graduate degree. However, the process may be more challenging as you may not have access to resources and support from a university. It is important to thoroughly research the publication process and consider collaborating with a mentor or experienced researcher.

4. Are there any limitations to being involved in research without a graduate degree?

There may be some limitations to being involved in research without a graduate degree. Some research positions or projects may require a certain level of education or experience. Additionally, without a graduate degree, you may not have access to certain resources or funding opportunities. However, with dedication and hard work, you can still make valuable contributions to research.

5. What are the benefits of getting involved in research without a graduate degree?

Getting involved in research without a graduate degree can provide valuable experience and skills that can enhance your resume and career prospects. It can also help you determine if research is a field you want to pursue further. Additionally, you may have the opportunity to network with professionals in your field and gain insights into current research trends and practices.