1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting involved with research without graduate degree?

1. Feb 17, 2015 #1
    Hello,

I am studying mathematics and biology as an undergrad. I have always want to do a PhD, but due to having a B- average, I need to set up a realistic plan, (i.e, not going to grad school and try to find a job) although I have not given up hope entirely.

I am seriously interested in aging. Recent results from Harvard and Stanford seem to show that the fountain of youth is not entirely fictional and I wish to get involved with research in aging. But obviously I can't get into Harvard or Stanford, I will be more than happy if I can get involved anywhere though.

So I thought of doing my undergrad in bioinformatics, (similar to what I have done so far, I can just stay for one extra year) getting a job as a bioinformatics developer. I will keep on studying on my own, get to know the people who do research and maybe share my own thought over a cup of coffee.

If my research interests were in pure mathematics or theoretical physics, I would not even have posted this. I can just read new papers on ArXiv. But for biology, I will need access to all the expensive lab materials. So my question is, how much can I get involved, with just a bachelor's degree, specifically in aging research with a bachelor's degree?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2015 #2
    The quick answer is internships :)
    @Ryan_m_b might have more advice

4. Feb 17, 2015 #3

analogdesign

Science Advisor

My wife conducts public health research studies (not aging specifically but similar type stuff) at a major university. She has a team of BS-level research associates whose job it is to implement the research. For example they recruit patients, take measurements, run stats, maintain databases, and collaborate on the paper writing. A lot of "large scale" research, and by that I mean the group is bigger than can be filled with grad students, is done by people with BS degrees. Often people do it a few years before going to graduate school.

5. Feb 18, 2015 #4
    Isn't a BSc in bioinformatics fine to get a job supporting PhD researchers at some lab or institution? Or at least at a company involved with bioinformatics/genomic data? Yeah, you won't be a true scientist but depending on how good your ideas are, the more influence you will have.

I'd say that as a biologist/bioinformatist it would be easier to get involved with research with just a BSc than with physics or math because there you would rather want a CS or engineering BSc as a supporting techician.

You can actually set up a mol. bio lab yourself and do a few experiments yourself. It is not that expensive. But of course it wouldn't be a way to generate the data you are looking for, but you can do a lot of stuff. Could be more of a hobby thing. I mean, compare that to a physics lab where almost everything is super expensive.

6. Feb 19, 2015 #5
    I have two bachelors degree and my job at a national lab is essentially a research position. It's supporting the experiments proposed by the PhD's but I'm still doing research that can be published.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook