Getting less total B-field from two infinitely long parallel wires

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the total B-field, equaling 0.78 micro-Tesla, using two wires. The vertical component of B-field, B1, is calculated using the dimensions of h (6) and d (1), and B2 is calculated using the formula B = u*i/(2*pi*R). The total B-field is the vector sum of B1 and B2, and it is necessary to understand vector addition in order to solve the problem.
adamaero
Homework Statement
Two infinitely long parallel wires separated by 1 m are at 6 m above ground. Each carries a 60-Hz AC current of 100 amperes (rms), but in opposing directions. Find the magnetic flux density B at a test location on the ground which is at an equal distance from the wires.
Relevant Equations
B = u*i/(2*pi*R)
1564866538404.png

I got 4.7*sin(377t) micro-Tesla for each wire, but where are they getting the total B-field equaling 0.78 micro-Tesla?
Is it some hidden trigonometry?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
Did you calculate the vertical component of B1? You can use similar triangles as suggested in the solution.

Last edited:
TSny said:
Did you calculate the vertical component of B1?
I don't know the dimensions. All I see is the h (6) and d (1).
Sqrt(6^2+1/2^2) used to calculate B.

adamaero said:
I don't know the dimensions. All I see is the h (6) and d (1).
Sqrt(6^2+1/2^2) used to calculate B.
You have d and h. What other dimensions do you think you need to know? Each B field vector is perpendicular to its corresponding radius vector.

phyzguy said:
You have d and h. What other dimensions do you think you need to know?
I don't know.
phyzguy said:
Each B field vector is perpendicular to its corresponding radius vector.
So how does that help? I suppose I can guess terms, trial and error: sqrt(j^2+k^2) = 0.78.

...I hate playing this game between inquiry based learning and beating around the bush. When the semester actually starts, I can't spend a week on one problem like this. Quizzes are more frequent than that...too little too late...
...ya, ya, it's been only three days...but it'll probably be a week of volleying back and forth until enough help comes or the approach is uncovered from all the piecemeal comments...

adamaero said:
I don't know.

So how does that help? I suppose I can guess terms, trial and error: sqrt(j^2+k^2) = 0.78.

I guess I don't understand what you think is missing. You've calculated the magnitude of the B field vectors, and you know their directions. Do you know how to do vector addition?

phyzguy said:
I guess I don't understand what you think is missing. You've calculated the magnitude of the B field vectors, and you know their directions. Do you know how to do vector addition?
4.7+4.7 = 0.78
No, I do not.

You need to go back and learn how to do vector addition, otherwise there is no hope of solving problems like this. Basically, each component of the two vectors needs to be added independently.

So the issue isn't me knowing vector addition...
I suppose one should only use this site as a starting point to define the question, then after one reply, ask it on allaboutcircuits...

TSny said:
Welcome to PF!
Did you calculate the vertical component of B1? You can use similar triangles as suggested in the solution.
How are the vertical components calculated? h = 6 m...
B1 = u*i/(2*pi*R)
B1 = 2*10^(-7)/6 = 3.33e-8

Last edited:
As it says in the problem statement, you have two vectors, and the resultant magnetic field is the sum of the two (B = B1 + B2). B1 is the magnetic field due to wire 1, and B2 is the magnetic field due to wire 2. The total field is the vector sum of these 2, since Maxwell's equations are linear. Can you write out B1 and B2 in vector form?

By vector form, I mean like this:
[tex] \vec{B1} = B1_x \vec{e_x} + B1_y \vec{e_y} [/tex] [tex] \vec{B2} = B2_x \vec{e_x} + B2_y \vec{e_y}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. How does the distance between two parallel wires affect the total B-field?

The total B-field decreases as the distance between two parallel wires increases. This is because the magnetic field strength follows an inverse square law, meaning it decreases exponentially as the distance increases.

2. Do the currents in the two wires affect the total B-field?

Yes, the currents in the two wires do affect the total B-field. The total B-field is directly proportional to the currents in the two wires. If the currents are equal and in the same direction, the B-field will be stronger. If the currents are opposite, the B-field will be cancelled out.

3. Can the direction of the B-field be changed by changing the direction of the currents in the wires?

Yes, the direction of the B-field can be changed by changing the direction of the currents in the wires. The B-field direction follows the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers curl in the direction of the B-field.

4. How does the strength of the B-field change with increasing current in the wires?

The strength of the B-field increases proportionally with the current in the wires. This is because the B-field is directly proportional to the current. So, doubling the current will result in doubling the B-field strength.

5. Is the B-field stronger inside or outside the two parallel wires?

The B-field is stronger inside the two parallel wires. This is because the B-field follows a circular path around each wire, and inside the wires, the circular fields combine to create a stronger B-field.