1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting Magnetic Field from Electric Field

1. Dec 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi! There is a formula in Griffiths that relates the electric field and the magnetic field:
    [itex]\mathbf{\tilde{B}}(\mathbf{r},t)=\frac{1}{c}\mathbf{\hat{k}}\times\mathbf{\tilde{E}}[/itex]

Question: Is this formula applicable for plane waves only? Can I use this for spherical waves? Thank you very much.

2. Relevant equations
    See above.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was told this is just for plane waves, but I want to be sure. Thank you! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2014 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I know what the k vector is for a plane wave. And with a little re-reading notes on this stuff I could reproduce the construction that gets you your relation between B, K, and E for a plane wave.

What would be the equivalent of a k vector for a spherical wave? Can you write down the E and B as functions of position and time for a spherical wave? It's going to have to be some kind of function of radius. How can you write something that looks like the k dot E or k dot B in a plane wave but that gives you something that is a function of radius? Hint: It's going to involve the radius vector. Can you demonstrate your solution obeys Maxwell's equations? Does your solution have a k vector? Hint: plane waves have a single axis of travel and so there is a single k vector for all positions and time. That clearly can't be true for a spherical wave.

And, having done all of that, can you then write k x E and compare it to B?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted