Getting your Grad degree at same University as your Undergrad

• Schools
  • Thread starter MathGangsta
  • Start date
I'll look at faculty bio's and notice that not many have done their Grad work at the same University as their Undergrad. Why is this?

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Because once you've learned what one school has to teach you, it's good to go to another one and learn what they have to teach you.

eri
Students are usually discouraged from doing both degrees in the same department. You're supposed to branch out, learn new ways of doing things, work with different people, explore new fields, and make new connections. Unless you're doing both degrees at a very top school in your field, it's usually frowned upon to stay at the same school.

Because once you've learned what one school has to teach you, it's good to go to another one and learn what they have to teach you.

So you are saying that grad school classes at any university are the same as the undergrad courses?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
No, but I am saying that courses are but a small part of your education.

I'll look at faculty bio's and notice that not many have done their Grad work at the same University as their Undergrad. Why is this?

Because universities don't like admitting their own undergraduates, and it's a very good idea to go to grad school at a very different type of university than you did your undergraduate in.