Getting your Grad degree at same University as your Undergrad

In summary, it is common for faculty members to have completed their graduate work at a different university than their undergraduate studies. This is because universities encourage students to branch out, learn new ways of thinking, and make new connections. Additionally, it is not typically looked upon favorably to stay at the same university for both degrees, unless it is a top school in the field. This allows students to gain a more well-rounded education and expand their knowledge beyond just their undergraduate courses.
MathGangsta
I'll look at faculty bio's and notice that not many have done their Grad work at the same University as their Undergrad. Why is this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because once you've learned what one school has to teach you, it's good to go to another one and learn what they have to teach you.

Students are usually discouraged from doing both degrees in the same department. You're supposed to branch out, learn new ways of doing things, work with different people, explore new fields, and make new connections. Unless you're doing both degrees at a very top school in your field, it's usually frowned upon to stay at the same school.

Vanadium 50 said:
Because once you've learned what one school has to teach you, it's good to go to another one and learn what they have to teach you.

So you are saying that grad school classes at any university are the same as the undergrad courses?

No, but I am saying that courses are but a small part of your education.

MathGangsta said:
I'll look at faculty bio's and notice that not many have done their Grad work at the same University as their Undergrad. Why is this?

Because universities don't like admitting their own undergraduates, and it's a very good idea to go to grad school at a very different type of university than you did your undergraduate in.

1. What are the benefits of getting a graduate degree at the same university as your undergraduate degree?

There are several benefits to pursuing a graduate degree at the same university as your undergraduate degree. Firstly, you are already familiar with the campus, faculty, and resources, which can make the transition into graduate studies smoother. Additionally, you may have established relationships with professors who can provide strong letters of recommendation. Finally, staying at the same university may also allow you to continue any research projects or internships that you were involved in during your undergraduate studies.

2. Are there any disadvantages to getting a graduate degree at the same university as my undergraduate degree?

One potential disadvantage is that you may not have the opportunity to experience a different academic environment or learn from different perspectives. Additionally, staying at the same university for both degrees may limit your professional network, as you will primarily be interacting with the same classmates and faculty members. It is important to weigh the potential advantages and disadvantages before making a decision.

3. Will the admissions process be easier if I apply for a graduate degree at the same university as my undergraduate degree?

While the admissions process may be slightly easier due to your familiarity with the university, this does not guarantee acceptance into the graduate program. Each program has its own admissions criteria and standards, and you will still need to meet those requirements and submit a strong application to be accepted.

4. How can I ensure that I am receiving a quality education if I pursue a graduate degree at the same university as my undergraduate degree?

To ensure that you are receiving a quality education, it is important to research the graduate program and its faculty members. Look into their areas of expertise and publications, as well as any awards or recognitions they have received. It is also helpful to reach out to current graduate students or alumni to get their perspectives on the program.

5. Can I receive financial aid or scholarships if I pursue a graduate degree at the same university as my undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is still possible to receive financial aid and scholarships for graduate studies at the same university. However, it is important to note that some universities may have limited funding for graduate students who have also completed their undergraduate studies at the same institution. It is recommended to research and apply for external scholarships and grants to increase your chances of receiving financial assistance.