Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gift idea for chemistry teacher?

1. Jun 27, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I used to take private tutions in chemistry from a researcher in inorganic reaction mechanism (55 years old). What do you think will be a suitable inexpensive parting gift to give to him? Last year I gave him Clayden, Greeves, Warren and Warthous's Organic Chemistry. Thanks for your help.

Molu

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2008 #2
    Volunteer @ his research lab and show interest in his research? lol

4. Jun 28, 2008 #3
    Not a bad option really, but I'll be going away to IIT Kharagpur for my graduation (he stays in Kolkata).

5. Jun 28, 2008 #4
  6. Jun 28, 2008 #5
  7. Jun 28, 2008 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Jun 29, 2008 #7
    A free copy of grand theft auto 4 including an xbox 360 home entertainment system.
    An appointment with Jiffy Lube (the auto company).
    A polka-dot bow tie.
    A sticker of spongebob squarepants.
    An appointment with Jiffy Lube (the auto company).

9. Jul 5, 2008 #8
    Okay, how about some serious suggestions now?

10. Jul 5, 2008 #9

Danger

Gold Member

You can't go wrong with a gift certificate, although it's a little impersonal. How about dinner for 2 at his favourite restaurant, or movie passes, or a round of golf? Just because chemistry is the guy's vocation doesn't mean that he has no life.

11. Jul 5, 2008 #10

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's right ; give him something that's chemistry related e.g. something from the Discovery website and also something that's pertains to his personal hobbies e.g. a golf club .

12. Jul 5, 2008 #11
  13. Jul 7, 2008 #12
    I'm thinking I'll give him classical CDs. He loves Mozart, but not Beethoven. What would you suggest? I was thinking Chopin.

14. Jul 7, 2008 #13

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Gifting music is a little dicey unless you know for sure its something someone hasn't had time to get for themselves. A gift card to a music store or video store might be better if music or entertainment is the intent.

If they like to cook, applied chemistry in the kitchen, perhaps a collection of exotic sea salts? It's surprising the range of tastes available in the NaCl in the black and grays and pink salts. It might peak the experimental side of culinary application - that is unless they are a fast food person - then back to plan A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?