Girls in Engineering: Will I Be Surrounded by Guys?

• Thread starter viet_jon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the girl is considering going into engineering and is worried about being around mostly guys. She is also worried about the difficulty of getting into engineering school if you are a girl. The girl has heard that some colleges are easier on girls who want to major in physics/engineering/compsci.
What, would you rather have me be mean?

LOL, I don't think so :smile:

That's not like me to be mean anyhow, so it's all good :biggrin: Hope there isn't any harm or anything...

Physics news on Phys.org
Just keeeding!:biggrin:

Cool... So, are you an engineer then?

Haha

Everyone go back to your physics work!

NOW!:uhh:

I'm done with mine, I have a mid term at noon though :)

Last edited:
Nice. I have my final next week. So I'm studying all night tonight.

Sweetness. I tend to freak when it somes to test time though, it sucks, lol. So, I tend to do a little worse than expected, haha.

Yea same here. I had a chemistry test yesturday on Entropy and Gibbs Free Energy and I didn't believe myself that a -DeltaG implied a Positive entropy so I derived it from some equation over and over again to convince my self each time it popped up. I get really nervous on tests.

Haha, nice. I am one of those people who take all the time they can get, and because I freak and don't trust my first instinct, I often don't get all the way completed. It can be so frustrating, especially, when all the other guys, it just seems to come naturally for them, and they can sit there calmly without having wondering eyes to lose concentration, and not have so much stress build up too. Though, sometime I wonder if the guys are freaking out as much as me, but just are trying to be "macho", lol, and not have it show, so it makes me freak out even more or something...

mcknia07 said:
Cool... So, are you an engineer then?

Sort of. My ilk observe cognitive processes in humans and animals, and then try to reverse engineer them and describe them as computational models.

It depends on how well they show it. Like everyone probably saw me and was like wow "He's writing alot, he must be good at this stuff," Whereas I'm actually just writing the same stuff over and over again because I'm freaking. But it guarantees me that I'll do my best so I guess its all good.

viet_jon said:
I'll most likely get accepted for september in Engineering, I won't be surrounded by guys all the time, will I?
Think of it as a preperation for work :rofl:

Gosh that sounds bad.

Do they run any make-up classes there?

(that's not sexist because men wear make-up too).

Wow, that sounds pretty complex, lol.

Yeah, I mean it's not bad to do that. I do that sometimes too, and occationaly I am right in what I have wrote down, and then just start plugging stuff in for all the formulas once you know you have all the variables/ It can be pretty helpful to think awhile before writing stuff down too...just kind of depends though, lol :)

mcknia07 said:
That's the best kind...

Beauty plus the brains,
not too many have
them both though
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

ALL of the women at PF have both. :biggrin:

Since we have a nice audience of women in science here, I'm going to recommend to all of you...study groups! (And the same to the men here who want to meet more women...just keep it focused on studying, and let nature take its course AFTER the regularly scheduled study session.) Women do well in cooperative learning settings, so study groups can be more effective for women than studying alone. You do still need to study alone, of course, and show up prepared for the group meetings, but that added group discussion can really solidify your knowledge and recall.

Last edited:
rohanprabhu said:
ohh.. never thought abt that...

Hey, i thurt i was the only one on here that people were laughing at...nice comment

:)

well there are about 5 girls in my aerospace class out of about 50 of us, but then again I am in london studying...i take it ur not...figures seem the same everywhere, not many girls, but that doesn't mean you should give it up if its what you want to do. why should it matter about girl/boy ratios, I am sure there are many successful women engineers out there so why can't you be one of them?

amz8601 said:
well there are about 5 girls in my aerospace class out of about 50 of us, but then again I am in london studying...i take it ur not...figures seem the same everywhere, not many girls, but that doesn't mean you should give it up if its what you want to do. why should it matter about girl/boy ratios, I am sure there are many successful women engineers out there so why can't you be one of them?

Indeed, it wasn't all that long ago that the ratios of women to men in biology and medicine were just as bad (I remember similar pep talks from my dad about going into medicine when I was a kid and first started considering "being a doctor when I grow up" as women today are talking about regarding engineering and physics), and now the women are outnumbering the men! If you enjoy it and are good at it, go for it, and then do what you can to mentor other young women who might be intimidated by so few women in the field, and you too may see in your lifetime a shift toward gender equality in the field. I think we're pretty much at a point where it's women's own inhibitions about perceived inequalities interfering more than your classmates or professors will. As you can see from the OP of this thread...the men really would like more women in their classes.

Moonbear said:
Indeed, it wasn't all that long ago that the ratios of women to men in biology and medicine were just as bad (I remember similar pep talks from my dad about going into medicine when I was a kid and first started considering "being a doctor when I grow up" as women today are talking about regarding engineering and physics), and now the women are outnumbering the men! If you enjoy it and are good at it, go for it, and then do what you can to mentor other young women who might be intimidated by so few women in the field, and you too may see in your lifetime a shift toward gender equality in the field. I think we're pretty much at a point where it's women's own inhibitions about perceived inequalities interfering more than your classmates or professors will. As you can see from the OP of this thread...the men really would like more women in their classes.

totally agree, tbh us guys look up to the girls and treat em like one of the guys, total respect for them since they are doing "a mans degree" as some would view it. but like moonbear says i think people are more scared of what others think and amplify their paranoid thoughts until they are defeated...if you ask me i think you should go for it and ignore the people who say "its a mans field".

not saying this is you, but some people spend their lives worrying about what others think and before its too late they realize what a waste of a life...

do what YOU want, not what people say, not what your parents say, coz hell i know too many people wanting to commit suicide for decisions their parents made instead of them...ask around, take in advice but at the end of the day its ur life and ur decision that should matter!

sorry...dont want to sound all philosophical and deep...just feel passionate about this since i seen people make mistakes.

:) I am sure if you follow ur heart and mind you won't be one of them

Any physics single female hotties here? lol.

Moonbear said:
ALL of the women at PF have both. :biggrin:

Since we have a nice audience of women in science here, I'm going to recommend to all of you...study groups! (And the same to the men here who want to meet more women...just keep it focused on studying, and let nature take its course AFTER the regularly scheduled study session.) Women do well in cooperative learning settings, so study groups can be more effective for women than studying alone. You do still need to study alone, of course, and show up prepared for the group meetings, but that added group discussion can really solidify your knowledge and recall.

I need to meet some smart people then. This girl I study physics with has no freakin' clue what she's talking about. It annoys the hell out of me.

amz8601 said:

just to clarify for a second time...OP (me), is a dude. :smile:

You go to London? which London? London Ontario?

UWO?

viet_jon said:
just to clarify for a second time...OP (me), is a dude. :smile:You go to London? which London? London Ontario?

UWO?

OH...oh man...im sorry...i wasnt sure...i knew there was question of it on the first page but i didnt have the time to read it and find the truth out...so i assumed...

london UK...you know...the posh speaking Queen london...or as some say london in England.

lol...sorry for assuming you is a lady...i think u deserve a medal for putting up with all the bad comments made by hormonal guys...! lol...things could be worse...you could be in prision...lol...jus kidding mate

seriously tho...if ur at uni to work then go for enginerring...if your at uni for girls...DRAMA, ARTS and THEATRE is where you should be at...!

UWO?

amz8601 said:
UWO?

University of Western Ontario, it's in London, Ontario, Canada. We're getting overrun by the crazy Canadians. :biggrin: (Very pretty campus, actually...no reason not to meet women outside of class.)

Shackleford said:
Any physics single female hotties here? lol.

Haha, What is this about? :rolleyes: :smile: Do I sense that someone is trying to find a gf on here? :biggrin:

mcknia07 said:
Haha, What is this about? :rolleyes: :smile: Do I sense that someone is trying to find a gf on here? :biggrin:

I'm not averse to it. :wink:

Haha, nice, lol. Well good luck then :smile:

mcknia07 said:
Haha, nice, lol. Well good luck then :smile:

lol. Are you one of the aforementioned?

I could possibly be...who knows...

mcknia07 said:
I could possibly be...who knows...

You must satiate my mild curiosity.

Ok, Yes

mcknia07 said:
Ok, Yes

Maybe I'll IM you then. Haha.

Ok, sure...

Shackleford said:
You must satiate my mild curiosity.

And you sir, satiate my need of mild creepiness for the week.

undrcvrbro said:
And you sir, satiate my need of mild creepiness for the week.

Thanks for being on my side
:shy: