Gisin's ideas on time vs. special relativity—how does one reconcile them?

• B
  • Thread starter Freixas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas Time
In summary: Both papers seem to suggest that Gisin's ideas about time are more correct than current theories about time, and that they could have big implications for physics. However, they make a number of mathematical and conceptual assumptions that need to be validated before anything can be said for certain.In summary, Gisin's ideas about time might be more correct than current theories, and could have big implications for physics. However, the ideas need to be validated before anything can be said for certain.
PeterDonis said:
In a hypothetical scenario, the person making up the scenario can simply dictate by fiat what happens. That includes dictating by fiat what happens in the causal future of any event of interest. So the person making up the scenario does have a "God-like view" of what happens in the scenario.

It's worth noting that many of the arguments for the block universe (including the one I referenced in the article) can be viewed as making up a scenario, observing that you have a "God-like view" of what happens in the scenario (because you determined those events by fiat when you made up the scenario), and then incorrectly concluding that the real world must work the same way.

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
PeroK said:
Does Peter's Insight not explode that myth?

I am probably not explaining myself well. While I was pecking out an answer, Peter piped in:

PeterDonis said:
It's worth noting that many of the arguments for the block universe (including the one I referenced in the article) can be viewed as making up a scenario, observing that you have a "God-like view" of what happens in the scenario (because you determined those events by fiat when you made up the scenario), and then incorrectly concluding that the real world must work the same way.

My comments were related to why people (like myself) fall into the trap of thinking that relativity = BU. Peter's comment above is a good a paraphrase of what I was trying to say.

Peter's longer post about predictions took my comments into an area I was not addressing.