1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Give a good explanation of determinants?

1. Feb 25, 2009 #1
    I don't think this goes under H/W questions, as it's not a specific question needing solving, or a proof, etc.
    Getting back to the point, anyone know any good websites or sources that give a good explanation of determinants? I mean what they do, why they do it, not just how to do it. I googled and got pretty boring stuff that tended to be either simply how to do them or just...well... lacking excitment.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2009 #2
    Re: Determinants

Try to understand the formal properties (multilinearity) in terms of the interpretation as the volume of the parallelogram/parallelepiped (see the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinant" [Broken]).
    Determinants may not be the most exciting thing you will ever learn, but absolutely essential in almost all fields of math and applications of math.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Feb 25, 2009 #3

If you want to know why the determinant does what it does, pick up 'Analysis on Manifolds' by Munkres.

5. Feb 26, 2009 #4

Cheers guys
    I know what you mean by not the most exciting thing! Blimey, but I kind of get what you mean by important. I came across determinants reading about vectors.
    Thanks again.

6. Feb 26, 2009 #5

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The determinant of an NxN matrix is equal to the oriented volume of the N-parallelepiped defined by the N column vectors (or alternatively, the N row vectors) of that matrix.

So for example, if you have a parallelogram defined by two vectors in the plane, (1,2) and (-1,3), then the area of this parallelogram is given by

[tex]A = \left| \begin{array}{rr}1 & -1 \\ 2 & 3 \end{array} \right| = (1)(3) - (-1)(2) = 5[/tex]

which you can check geometrically, if you like.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook