Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Give me a function that is piecewise continuous but not piecewise smooth

1. Nov 11, 2011 #1
    Give me a function that is piecewise continuous but not piecewise smooth

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2011 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The Weierstrass function should fit the bill, in being everywhere continuous, but nowhere differentiable.

4. Nov 13, 2011 #3

jmm

|x| is defined piecewise as abs(x)={-x,x<0; x,x>0} which is continuous but not smooth at x=0. And is perhaps a little bit easier to visualize than a fractal :D

5. Nov 13, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yeah, but this IS piecewise smooth.

6. Nov 13, 2011 #5

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

jmm, the domain of of the function you wrote down is the reals minus 0. So it is irrelevant what the function is doing at the origin.

Further as micromass has noted, even if you define abs(0) = 0, the function will still be piecewise smooth. This is because you can split the domain into [itex](-\infty,0) \cup [0,\infty)[/itex], and so abs has one sided derivatives of all orders at x = 0.

7. Nov 13, 2011 #6

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The path of a particle following continuous Brownian motion is nowhere differentiable. You can think of this as a continuous random walk Many stochastic models for practical problems use continuous Brownian motion.

For a weird example, I was told that there is a continuous map of the sphere into the plane that is everywhere distance preserving. Such a map can not be differentiable anywhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook