1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Give the magnitude of the magnetic field that will.

1. Mar 7, 2010 #1
    Give the magnitude of the magnetic field that will.......

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose the rod in the figure has mass m = 0.38 kg and length 26 cm and the current through it is I = 40 A.

If the coefficient of static friction is us = 0.49, determine the minimum magnetic field B (not necessarily vertical) that will just cause the rod to slide. Give the magnitude of B.

Express your answer using two significant digits.

2. Relevant equations

F = IBd
    F = usFN

3. The attempt at a solution

Since its just "just beginning to move", I know that the two forces are equal to eachother.

IBd = usFN
    IBd = usmg

which means that:

B = (usmg) / Id

I plug in the values (after converting them to standard SI units), and I get .175 T. To two significant figures would be .18. But thats not right, I also tried .17, not that either, .2 was also wrong. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2010 #2
    Re: Give the magnitude of the magnetic field that will.......

never mind, i figured it out. Our teacher gave us a message saying that if you tilt the mag field west, it will reduce the normal force, and then the overall magnetic field strength. I modified the equations to make them functions of theta. Then from there, I found the value of theta that gives a minimum for B.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook