Give the magnitude of the magnetic field that will.

In summary, the minimum magnetic field B that will just cause the rod to slide is 0.18 T, taking into account the coefficient of static friction and the tilt of the magnetic field.
Give the magnitude of the magnetic field that will...

Homework Statement

GIANCOLI.ch27.p59.60.jpg

Suppose the rod in the figure has mass m = 0.38 kg and length 26 cm and the current through it is I = 40 A.

If the coefficient of static friction is us = 0.49, determine the minimum magnetic field B (not necessarily vertical) that will just cause the rod to slide. Give the magnitude of B.

Express your answer using two significant digits.

Homework Equations

F = IBd
F = usFN

The Attempt at a Solution

Since its just "just beginning to move", I know that the two forces are equal to each other.

So:

IBd = usFN
IBd = usmg

which means that:

B = (usmg) / Id

I plug in the values (after converting them to standard SI units), and I get .175 T. To two significant figures would be .18. But that's not right, I also tried .17, not that either, .2 was also wrong. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org

never mind, i figured it out. Our teacher gave us a message saying that if you tilt the mag field west, it will reduce the normal force, and then the overall magnetic field strength. I modified the equations to make them functions of theta. Then from there, I found the value of theta that gives a minimum for B.

1. What is meant by the term "magnitude of the magnetic field"?

The magnitude of the magnetic field refers to the strength or intensity of the magnetic field at a specific point in space.

2. How is the magnitude of the magnetic field measured?

The magnitude of the magnetic field is typically measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G) using specialized instruments such as a magnetometer.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the magnetic field?

The magnitude of the magnetic field can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the source of the magnetic field, the distance from the source, and any intervening materials that may alter its strength.

4. Can the magnitude of the magnetic field be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of the magnetic field can be negative. This typically occurs when the direction of the magnetic field is opposite to the direction of the Earth's magnetic field, resulting in a negative value.

5. How does the magnitude of the magnetic field impact its effects on objects?

The stronger the magnitude of the magnetic field, the greater its effects on objects such as charged particles or magnetic materials. A higher magnitude can result in stronger forces or interactions between the magnetic field and these objects.

Suggested for: Give the magnitude of the magnetic field that will.

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views