Given 2 series' an bn, what can be said about cn when

• Thread starter Dell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, for the series {an}^{infinity}_{n=1} and {bn}^{infinity}_{n=1}, where {an}^{infinity}_{n=1}=infinity and {bn}^{infinity}_{n=1}=K, with K being a constant unknown, it can be said that {an+bn}^{infinity}_{n=1}= infinity. However, for {an*bn}^{infinity}_{n=1}, it cannot be determined whether it converges or diverges, as K could be a number or 0. Additionally, for the series Cn=An+Bn, it does not converge. If Bn=0, then it is undefined, but if Bn is not
Dell
given 2 unknown number series {an}[tex]^{infinity}_{n=1}[/tex] and {bn}[tex]^{infinity}_{n=1}[/tex], if it is know that {an}[tex]^{infinity}_{n=1}[/tex]=infinity and {bn}[tex]^{infinity}_{n=1}[/tex]=K,
K=constant unknown

what can be said about
{an+bn}[tex]^{infinity}_{n=1}[/tex]
{an*bn}[tex]^{infinity}_{n=1}[/tex]

i think that
{an+bn}[tex]^{infinity}_{n=1}[/tex]= infinity, since:
{an+bn}[tex]^{infinity}_{n=1}[/tex]={an}[tex]^{infinity}_{n=1}[/tex]+{bn}[tex]^{infinity}_{n=1}[/tex]= infinity + K = infinity

as for {an*bn}[tex]^{infinity}_{n=1}[/tex], i don't think anything can be said for sure, since K could be a number or 0,

am i right?? is there a proper mathematical way to write this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Partially right.
If K=0 it's usually undefined, but if K>0 then K*infinity=infinity and if K<0 then... what can you say it equals to?

If you need to check the definitions there they are:
1. a_n=infinity iff for every M>0 there exists N such that for every n>N a_n>M
2. a_n=-infinity iff for every M<0 there exists N such that for every n>N a_n<M.

i am asked is Cn converges when
Cn=An+Bn,---> does not converge

Cn=AnBn--->if |Bn|>0 - does not converge
but if Bn=0, then it is undefined, so what does that mean, diverge/converge/something else??

Well, now when I think of it if Bn=0, and An->infinity then AnBn->0 because AnBn=0 for every natural n.
If the question were, Bn->0 but not indetically 0, then it's undefined.

1. What is the relationship between series an and bn?

The series an and bn are related by a formula in which the value of an is multiplied by the value of bn to get the value of cn.

2. Can the relationship between an and bn be expressed in a mathematical equation?

Yes, the relationship between an and bn can be expressed as cn = an * bn.

3. Are there any patterns or trends in the values of cn?

It depends on the values of an and bn. In some cases, the values of cn may follow a specific pattern or trend, while in others they may seem random.

4. Is there a way to predict the value of cn?

If the values of an and bn follow a specific pattern or trend, it may be possible to use that information to predict the value of cn. However, if the values of an and bn are random, it may not be possible to accurately predict the value of cn.

5. Can this relationship between an, bn, and cn be applied to other series?

Yes, as long as the series follow the same formula of cn = an * bn, this relationship can be applied to other series. However, the values of an and bn may vary, resulting in different values for cn.