1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Glass, melting points, and Xmas gift idea

1. Dec 23, 2011 #1
    Hey,

I recently bought my gf a ring and would like to put it in a glass bottle and allow it to hang by a fish line with it corked on top.

I haven't found any wine bottles that allow the ring to just go in naturally, I have been having to heat all of them.

I was wondering if I were to stick something thicker n the bottle after it is heated if the glass would mold around that shape? Would it be easy to get out?

Also, I am thinking of just getting a glass cutter, are they hard/efficient to use?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I'm also thinking of letting her do the heating in order to get it out, if anybody knows a fun, or interesting way to heat it, let me know!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2011 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You're going to give your girlfriend a ring in a bottle - and a blowtorch, and tell her to go nuts??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook