1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Going back to school for engineering at 25?

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    I'm really considering going back to school for engineering and could use some advice.

I'm currently 25 years old, and graduated a couple years ago with a degree in economics. Since then I've been working (unrelated to my degree), and just feel like I want something more. I was always intrigued by math and science. I chose economics because I figured I'm "OK" in math, but not good enough to go through with the required math for engineering and science degrees. I'm not bad at math (not great either), but it was more laziness that held me back.

Since graduating I've thought about going back for engineering, but I keep talking myself out of it. The main thing that is holding me back is money. I don't have much saved up now, and I still have $30k of debt from undergrad. If I went back to school it would hopefully be at a state school (Rutgers most likely).

I don't regret my coursework in economics. I enjoyed it while I did it. The career prospects were less than stellar though, and I'm more intrigued by science than by finance and economics. Also, I like the idea of engineers actually contributing something to society... is that a jaded view? Is it a case of "the grass is greener?"

Overall, I think I'm finally done talking myself out of it and would like to make the leap. Any opinions would truly be helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2
    I did--after having completed a degree in Cognitive Behavioural Neuroscience.

I was 26 (27 now).

4. Nov 17, 2011 #3
    if money is an issue, do 1-2 years at a community college. depending on which type of engineering you want to do, most schools offer:

calc-physics 1-2, chem 1-2, calc 1-2 (3, diffeq, linear algebra)

^ core engineering

and if you want to do bioe or cheme: bio 1-2 or organic chem 1-2 (cause of nursing programs)

this should save you plenty of money over a state school, and if you do well in classes, idk if you could transfer in with some type of scholarship. my community college has an honors program and stuff.

5. Nov 17, 2011 #4
    I have a music degree. Went back to school a little over a year ago for physics. I started at a community college, saved a ton of money. I was 27 when I started back to school, fortunately I had long since paid my first undergrad debt. 25 is certainly not too old.

6. Nov 17, 2011 #5
    If you don't do it now, when will you? Good luck! :smile:

7. Nov 17, 2011 #6
    I'm sure you needed a good amount of math and science for your first degree though? Why did you decide to go back? How do you like it so far?

I thought about this. The only thing I'm worried about is the stigma that surrounds community college. Since it's just core classes, I hope it wouldn't be too much of an issue. I definitely am trying to save as much money as I can though.

You're lucky that you were able to take care of your debt. Did you have any issues with starting at a community college? Obviously I want to be able to get into the best (and cheapest) possible school I can after my core classes... I'm just wondering if that'll be an issue.

That's what I'm sayin! I always seem to come back to this route and say, "this is what I should be doing." So I might as well try. I don't want to put this off again, and 5 years from now regret not taking the chance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook