Going to Mars as a private company - How hard would it be?

In summary, it would be incredibly difficult and expensive to finance a two-man ship to go to Mars. The cost would likely exceed 100 billion USD, and even with private funding, it would be a challenging and risky venture. Additionally, the concept of manned spacecraft is becoming outdated with the advancements in unmanned probes and technology. It may be more feasible to have robots on Mars with virtual reality interfaces rather than sending humans on a long and potentially dangerous journey. The high cost and lack of public support also pose major obstacles for any potential mission to Mars.
Lightingbird
Title says it all.

I was debating this with some friends that if I came into a nice hunk of funds, just how hard would it be to finance a two man ship to go to Mars?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I can see that you're not asking how much it would cost, so what are you asking? How much science and technology you would need to know? Nothing, because you'll hire people and buy companies for that. How much work you would have to do? Very little, for the same reason. How likely it is that the things you will need to do won't be legal in any country? I don't know the answer to that. How much time it would take before you're ready to launch? I don't know, but I'd guess 10-20 years.

The cost is the interesting issue. Almost certainly more than 100 billion USD.

Ask Elon Musk, he's planning to retire on Mars. SpaceX and NASA are apparently contemplating a privately supplied Mars mission called Red Dragon but the projected cost is near half a billion and would rely on the completion of the Falcon Heavy Project.

Overall I would say it is going to be harder for a private company; sure they have less accountability to politics and the general public but at the same time they have to secure their funding via the market and manned space travel/exploration isn't a conducive to a profitable business plan.

Lastly I'm always sceptical of proposed manned missions to the Moon, Mars or elsewhere purely because we've had the nascent technology to do this for over 40 years but the sheer cost has prevented it from becoming a reality. If members of the public don't support their significant tax money going into such a project how will a company raise the profits to do so in a justifiable way?

Last edited:
Lightingbird said:
Title says it all.

I was debating this with some friends that if I came into a nice hunk of funds, just how hard would it be to finance a two man ship to go to Mars?

Pretty damn hard. You have a big marketing problem. The first is that it would be highly unpleasant, unhealthy, and time-consumng to journey to Mars in a spacecraft . The second is that it would very expensive.

I think manned spacecraft are an atavism. Unmanned probes make a lot more sense.

It would be possible to have a robot on Mars with a virtual reality interface to Earth. The delay would be a problem, but it would be much better than actually going there.

I can say that going to Mars as a private company would be an incredibly difficult and complex endeavor. It would require a significant amount of resources, both financial and technological, as well as a highly skilled and dedicated team of experts.

Firstly, the cost of building and launching a spacecraft capable of carrying humans to Mars would be astronomical. It would require extensive research and development, as well as rigorous testing to ensure the safety and success of the mission. Additionally, there are many other factors to consider such as the cost of fuel, supplies, and communication equipment.

Moreover, the technological challenges of such a mission should not be underestimated. Mars is a harsh and unforgiving environment, with extreme temperatures, radiation, and a thin atmosphere. A private company would need to develop advanced technologies and systems to protect the crew and ensure a successful landing and return journey.

Furthermore, the logistics of a Mars mission are incredibly complex. It would require careful planning and coordination to ensure the spacecraft has enough food, water, and other essential supplies for the duration of the journey. The crew would also need to be trained extensively in various fields such as space medicine, engineering, and geology to handle any unforeseen challenges that may arise during the mission.

In addition to the technical and logistical challenges, there are also legal and ethical considerations to take into account. The exploration and colonization of Mars raise questions about ownership of resources and potential harm to any existing life forms on the planet.

Overall, while it may be possible for a private company to finance a mission to Mars, it would be an incredibly difficult and complex endeavor. It would require a significant investment of resources, a highly skilled and dedicated team, and careful planning and coordination. However, the pursuit of such a monumental goal can also lead to great advancements in science and technology, making it a worthwhile endeavor to consider.

1. What are the main challenges of sending a private company to Mars?

Some of the main challenges of sending a private company to Mars include the high costs associated with space missions, the long travel distance and time, the harsh environmental conditions on Mars, and the need for advanced technology and expertise.

2. How long would it take for a private company to reach Mars?

The travel time to Mars depends on the trajectory and propulsion systems used, but on average it takes around 6-9 months for a spacecraft to reach Mars from Earth. This can vary based on the alignment of the two planets and the speed of the spacecraft.

3. What kind of technology would be needed for a private company to successfully land on Mars?

In order to successfully land on Mars, a private company would need advanced technology such as powerful rocket engines for propulsion, precise navigation and communication systems, and durable spacecraft materials to withstand the harsh conditions of Mars' atmosphere and surface.

4. Is it feasible for a private company to fund a mission to Mars?

It is possible for a private company to fund a mission to Mars, but it would require a significant amount of financial resources and a strong business plan. Many companies are currently investing in space exploration and technology development, making it a more feasible option than in the past.

5. What are the potential benefits of a private company going to Mars?

There are numerous potential benefits of a private company going to Mars, such as advancing space technology and exploration, potential economic opportunities through resource extraction or tourism, and the potential for scientific discoveries and advancements in understanding the universe and our place in it.