Gold & band structure at grazing angle

In summary, the conversation is about the refraction index of gold at grazing angle in X-ray applications. The use of parallel mirrors and the band structure of the material are discussed as factors in the reflection of high-energy X-rays. The sources cited provide further information and images of the mirror geometry used. The person speaking expressed their gratitude and asked for more information about the sources.
skyboarder2
Hi everybody,

I would like to know if someone could explain to me what happens to the refraction index of gold at grazing angle (X-ray applications), and particularly the band structure explanation (if you have it!)...
Indeed, I heard that the x-ray telescopes were made of parallel mirrors for the material to absorb the rays at grazing angle, the only way for them to REFLECT these high-energy rays.
Thank you very much,
S2

Physics news on Phys.org
"X-ray photon energies are greater than the binding energies of the typical atomic electrons leading to an index of refraction, n < 1 except near absorption edges of the material used. Then by Snell’s Laws, total external reflection occurs and X-rays reflect from a surface up to a critical angle given by cosine θ = n. This is known as the grazing angle."
This quoted from http://www.ias.ac.in/resonance/June2005/pdf/June2005p15-23.pdf.

Also http://www.x-ray-optics.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59&Itemid=71&lang=en#Wolter_optics has some nice pictures of the mirror geometry used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's precious! Thank you very much, how did you find these sources?
I just need to find some data about the band structure of the materials used and I'll have all I want, could you tell me by what means you got these websites/pages? Thank you so much

1. What is the band structure of gold at grazing angle?

The band structure of a material refers to the arrangement of energy levels of its electrons. In the case of gold at grazing angle, the band structure is affected by the surface plasmon resonance, which is a collective oscillation of electrons at the surface of the material.

2. How does gold behave at grazing angle?

At grazing angle, gold exhibits unique optical properties due to the surface plasmon resonance. This results in enhanced light-matter interactions, making it useful for applications such as sensing and surface-enhanced spectroscopy.

3. What is the significance of grazing angle in studying gold?

Grazing angle refers to the angle at which light is incident on a surface. In the case of gold, studying its behavior at grazing angle allows for a better understanding of its surface plasmon resonance and its potential applications in areas such as nanophotonics and plasmonics.

4. How does the electronic structure of gold change at grazing angle?

The electronic structure of gold at grazing angle is affected by the presence of a surface plasmon resonance. This results in a redistribution of electron density near the surface, leading to changes in the energy levels and optical properties of the material.

5. Can the band structure of gold at grazing angle be manipulated?

Yes, the band structure of gold at grazing angle can be controlled and manipulated by varying the incident angle and intensity of light. This allows for the tuning of its optical properties, making it a promising material for applications in nanophotonics and plasmonics.