1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gold leaf electroscope problem

1. Aug 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://www.physicstutorials.org/home/electrostatics/electroscope
    Negatively charged electroscope and X-Y plates are placed like in the figure given below. If the distances between electroscope and conductor plates are equals; find the types of charges of plates for given situations.
    1)If the leaves are closed a little bit
    2) If the leaves rise a little bit

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Answers of 1) is
    1. Both of the plates can be positively charged and have different amounts of charges. They both attract electrons of the leaves.
    2. They can have different charges; however, amount of positive charge must be larger than the negative charge. Since, there must be net positive charge to attract electrons from the leaves.

Should not there be third possibility i.e
    3)Both of the plates can be positively charged and have same amount of charge

similarly Answers of 2) is
    1.Both of the plates can be negatively charged and have different amounts of charges. They repel electrons from top of the electroscope to the leaves.

2.They can have different types of charges, but amount of negative charge must be larger than the amount of positive charge to repel electrons from top of the electroscope to the leaves.

Should not there be third possibility i.e

3)Both of the plates can be negatively charged charged and have same amount of charge

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2015 #2
  4. Aug 27, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, good you rang, because I indeed missed this thread.

I have little to add, but I am quite sure you have a question. What is the question ?

5. Aug 27, 2015 #4
    Hi !

6. Aug 27, 2015 #5

7. Aug 27, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry for overlooking that ! Let me check.

8. Aug 27, 2015 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I fully agree with you.

9. Aug 27, 2015 #8
    And what about
    quite obvious ?

10. Aug 27, 2015 #9
    upload_2015-8-27_19-13-9.png

In the third point,it is written that "During this process, leaves of electroscope are closed and after completion of charge sharing they rise again".
    Why the leaves of electroscope were closed earlier?

11. Aug 27, 2015 #10

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Same thing. They reason correctly that some electrons move towards the leaves. The only thing that is needed for that is some negative charge near the tip sphere of the electroscope. One negative, two negative (equal or not equal), one negative and one lesser charged positive, it doesn't matter.

It looks to me as if they wanted to ask and explain a little too much for this example.

Can't find an e-mail address for this club, otherwise you could point this out to them !

12. Aug 27, 2015 #11
    Similarly i have found another mistake on this particular page

13. Aug 27, 2015 #12

Attached Files:

14. Aug 27, 2015 #13
    upload_2015-8-27_19-18-36.png
    Opposite charges repel?opposite !

15. Aug 27, 2015 #14
    it's also correct,right?

16. Aug 27, 2015 #15

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can't keep up with you! posts cross: e.g. my #10 was in reply to your #8. and I missed your #9 (& 11, 12, 13, 14 !) For #14: yes. I thought we've had that settled already before.
    For the others, give me time to read the stufff ....o0)

17. Aug 27, 2015 #16
    Don't take tension .#(11,12 13) are same

18. Aug 27, 2015 #17

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For me (no expert in didactics, just a student long time ago) this is again not a very helpful exercise. But what it says is correct.
    One can argue about details (formally Y is + and Z is - goes too far. All that can be concluded is that Y is more + than Z).

Opposite charges repel. That's correct. But the sentence
    is gibberish.

My account:
    If the leaves spread, positive charge must be pushed down the electroscope. So Y has become more postitive than before. YZ is on an insulator, so the total charge on YZ is constant. THerefore Z must have become less positive (= more negative) than before. That means T has pushed away positive charge from Z. Since pushing away is repelling that means T is positively charged.

19. Aug 27, 2015 #18
    I thought Opposite charges attract.

20. Aug 27, 2015 #19

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See ! You did manage to confuse me. Or rather, the PhysTut site managed that.

Of course you are right!

What happens is "YZ is on an insulator, so the total charge on YZ is constant. Therefore Z must have become less positive if Y has become more positive."

You're better than I in this, so keep up the good work !

21. Aug 27, 2015 #20
    Not possible.Teachers always lead irrespective of the context.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted