Golf : Advantage of a longer drive ?

In summary, this golf pro's training has given him an advantage over a friend in that he can hit the ball further with the same accuracy.
eldrick
I'd be interested in some input on a question asked by a friend.

Suppose you are a golf pro & train harder ( weight-training ) & increase your maximum driving ability from 300 yards to 310 yard with same accuracy.

What theoretical advantage is this likely to offer you on the course ?

Say for instance we have a straight par-4 of 500y ( 500y from pin to hole ), with say a circular green of 50y radius with hole in the middle & the guy has increased his driving from 300y to 310y.

For some instinctive reason I think the theoretical improvement is likely to be the square root of the ratio improvement in driving ( because the hole, which is an area, of squared nature, is nearer & I get gut feeling that it's related to a squared function ) e.g.

(300/310)^0.5

Which applied to a par-4 would indicate :

I would like some ideas on where to go, because instinct isn't a viable argument.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can drive it 310 instead of 300, and a bunker is at 300 yards, you will be able to go over it.

You can use a club lower than you normally would use.

With more power, one can most likely put more draw on their shot if needed.

There are plenty of reasons...

Every 10 or so yards you can get closer for your approach shot allows you to select a shorter club with more back-spin on the green. That's a big deal.

And if you hit your drive longer, you can hit every other club longer.

If you hit a ball with a p wedge harder than you did yesterday, wouldn't the ball just go higher not longer, thus less accuracy?

It depends on the shot. I can hit a wedge 15 yards or 50 yards depending on how I swing.

I COULD make it go higher, or I could make it go a bit further.

then where is the advantage of a longer shot? if it just depends on your swing/shot?

kthayes said:
then where is the advantage of a longer shot? if it just depends on your swing/shot?

Well if I am 50 yards out, and I can only hit my wedge 40 yards, it means i have to use a 9 iron, where i won't get the same backspin, so it might roll off the green.

if i can hit my wedge 50 yards, i can get better backspin for the same distance, and not have it roll off.

And one is able to avoid/ go over obstacles that previously one would have to lay up on.

A longer shot means you can hit it further (obviously), higher, and with more spin.

There are some cases though where I might be 40 yards out, but I need to hit it low to get under trees, so I might use a 7 iron and just punch it low. it does really depend on the shot, the course, and the conditions on the course.

point taken...what about putting...just kidding, thanx

lol there was actually a guy who used his putter for everything, including driving. don't remember his name though...

This is all very nice chat, but I'm not any closer to an answer.

Forget bunkers, lakes & Bill Murray's gopher ( ! )

I'm just thinking how driving 310 instead of 300 subtends a bigger angle of shot to a straight-ahead 4.25" diameter hole on a 500y straight hole & increased chance of beating par-4 :

The hole appears "bigger"

Actually, now, thinking about it a lot more, it may not be such a hard problem, but I'd like some sober input

Last edited:
Hard question to address, eldrick without knowing your skill level and your propensity to slice or pull shots when trying to drive that last few extra yards.

I was never very consistent with the driver (though I had good moments), but I could manage 200+ yards with the roll with a 5-iron. I'd place the ball back in my stance to de-loft the club and swing normally. I was a LOT more accurate with that iron, and that was a big deal. Putting the ball where you want it in the fairway for your approach is pretty important. Yeah, I could often be much longer with the driver or 3-wood or a longer iron, but it doesn't take too much of an off-target shot to put you in the rough, and cost you an extra stroke or two to compensate.

5-iron was kind of the sweet spot for me. I studied with two guys (co-worker and a friend) who could have turned pro, and they both had the same advice. Use the longest club that you have confidence in and never sacrifice accuracy for a few yards of distance. After about a year, I could shoot pretty reliable Bogey golf, and that's not bad for a newbie who is short and has a bad back.

Getting close is really important if you are a pro. Staying out of trouble is far more important if you are an amateur who wants to improve your score.

BTW, as pros manage to drive longer and longer, course designers move trees, bunker, traps, etc to negate the extra length and make the course more technical.

I'm still not being offered an answer to the question proferred

I 'd like some refuatations to simple 3.93 suggested

1. What is the advantage of having a longer drive in golf?

The main advantage of a longer drive in golf is that it allows players to hit the ball farther down the fairway, giving them a better chance of reaching the green in fewer shots. This can lead to lower scores and a competitive edge over other players.

2. How can a longer drive improve my overall game?

Having a longer drive can improve your overall game by allowing you to hit the ball closer to the green, making it easier to approach and make shots. It can also give you more options when it comes to club selection, as you may be able to choose a shorter club for your approach shots.

3. Is it necessary to have a longer drive to be a successful golfer?

No, having a longer drive is not necessary to be a successful golfer. While it can certainly be an advantage, there are many other aspects of the game, such as accuracy, short game skills, and course management, that are equally important for success in golf.

4. What are some ways to increase my driving distance?

There are a few ways to increase your driving distance in golf. These include practicing proper swing mechanics, improving your strength and flexibility through fitness training, and using equipment such as a driver with a larger club head or a lower loft.

5. Are there any drawbacks to having a longer drive in golf?

While a longer drive can be beneficial, there are some potential drawbacks to consider. For example, if you sacrifice accuracy for distance, you may find yourself in more difficult positions on the course. Additionally, it can be tempting to always try to hit the ball as far as possible, which can lead to inconsistency and errors in your swing.