1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Golf ball problem (velocity, max height, hang time)

1. Oct 18, 2006 #1
    "golf ball problem" (velocity, max height, hang time)

Okay. I'm having a really hard time with this. I know how to start the problem, but after that I go nuts, and literally start pulling out my hair. There is no book I can look in for reference, as this part is teacher supplemented.

The given picture/information is this:

And I need to find:

velocity of x at zero time:
    velocity of y at zero time:
    maximum height (from ground, not cliff):
    hang time:
    velocity of x after "a" time:
    velocity of y after "a" time:

Now, I can find Vx at zero (20m/s), and Vy at zero (34.6m/s). I also know that Vx at any time is going to remain the same (20m/s), but then I'm lost for maximum height, hang time, and Vy at "a" time. Gravity is taken into account, but not air resistance. I know that it loses -9.8m/s going up due to gravity, and +9.8m/s going down due to gravity. And I tried doing that a long way, subtracting 9.8 from 34.6, subtracting 9.8 form that answer, etc., and counting how many times to get a seconds number, but then I didn't know how to figure out when I got down to 5.2 and subtracting 9.8 from that. I really have no clue how far up it goes, or how to find anything past making the triangle to find the forces using sine/cosine/tangent.

I'm not sure if there is a formula or multiple formulas to figure this information out. That's what I think I'm missing to get the rest of the information.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

The formula which will be of great use to you is the displacement formula. For the x direction, you have [tex]x(t) = x_{0} + v_{0x}t[/tex], and, for the y direction, [tex]y(t) = y_{0} + v_{0y}t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]. You should be able to solve the problem now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?