Good applied maths book undergraduate level

In summary, the conversation revolved around a maths undergraduate seeking a book that covers multiple applied maths topics at an introductory to intermediate level. The individual also expressed a preference for books that cover more than one topic. Suggestions were given for books on mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics, including Kleppner & Kolenkow, Griffiths, and Mechanics of Fluids by Shames. Another suggestion was made for the Feynman lectures.
mcheung4
I am a maths undergraduate and looking for a book that covers many applied maths topics, such as electromagnetism, fliud dynamics, Newtonian mechanics etc., about introductory to intermediate level. I know it'd be hard to find one that contains all of them so if u have any suggestion on only 1 topic that'd be great too, although I do prefer those which contain more than 1 topic. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm thinking of Kleppner & Kolenkow for mechanics, Griffiths for E&M and the interesting-looking book Mechanics of Fluids by Shames as being the sort of books you are looking for.

Why not take a look at the Feynman lectures?

thanks!

I would recommend the book "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas. This book covers a wide range of applied math topics, including electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and Newtonian mechanics, at an undergraduate level. It also includes exercises and examples to help reinforce the concepts. Another suggestion would be "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by K.F. Riley, M.P. Hobson, and S.J. Bence, which covers similar topics and also includes more advanced topics such as special functions and Fourier analysis. Ultimately, it is important to choose a book that aligns with your specific interests and learning style. I recommend browsing through a few different options and seeing which one resonates with you the most.

What is the best applied math book for undergraduate students?

The answer to this question varies depending on personal preferences and the specific field of study. However, some popular choices among undergraduate students include "Engineering Mathematics" by K.A. Stroud and "Applied Mathematics for Engineers and Physicists" by L. A. Pipes.

What topics should be covered in a good applied math book for undergraduate level?

A good applied math book for undergraduate level should cover a wide range of topics, including calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, probability and statistics, and numerical methods. It should also include real-world applications and examples to help students understand the practical implications of these mathematical concepts.

Are there any online resources or open-source textbooks available for applied math at the undergraduate level?

Yes, there are several online resources and open-source textbooks available for applied math at the undergraduate level. Some popular options include "Mathematics for Machine Learning" by Marc Peter Deisenroth, A Aldo Faisal, and Cheng Soon Ong, and "A First Course in Linear Algebra" by Rob Beezer.

What are some key features to look for in a good applied math book for undergraduate level?

A good applied math book for undergraduate level should have clear and concise explanations, a variety of practice problems and examples, and a comprehensive glossary of key terms. It should also have relevant and up-to-date content, and be written in a style that is easy for students to understand.

How can I determine if a specific applied math book is suitable for undergraduate level?

To determine if a specific applied math book is suitable for undergraduate level, you can look at the recommended prerequisites and target audience specified by the author or publisher. You can also read reviews from other students or consult with your professor for their recommendation.