1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good at maths but don't know if i will be good at design ?

1. Oct 3, 2015 #1
    hello everybody i have a question,
    i am good at maths and physics and thinking about study engineering but one think something scares me is to design. In fact i think i will love all the theoritical part of the study (maths, physics, static , dynamics exercise) but i don't know at all if i will suceed to the projects where you have to design something, i think i will have no idea of a new mechanism, not enought creativity

do you think if you are good at maths and science no reason you will be bad at design ?

(sorry for my bad english level)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2015 #2
    strange question isn't it ? but i feel absolutely myselft not inventive, is it still a good idea to do engineering ?

4. Oct 3, 2015 #3

donpacino

Gold Member

something to consider... being a design engineer doesn't necessary mean coming up with completely new concepts.

Many times it involves using know architectures and layouts, and solving for values of components and material, and making trade-offs between different design criteria

5. Oct 4, 2015 #4
    yes but to be a mechanical engineer you need to feel yourself inventive ? i think i am the only one who aske this question isn't it ? Lot of people says good at math= considere to be an engineer (of course you need soft kill such as comunication), but for me when i see the project of engineering student i feel you need to be INVENTIVE/CREATIVE, so i am a bit scared to do engineering, succes to theoritical part but completely fail failure at the project. Is it important to think about that ?
    or if you are good at math/science no reason you are bad at design project ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook