Good book for an introduction to proof based math

In summary, "Proof-based math" is a branch of mathematics that focuses on using rigorous logical arguments to prove the truth of mathematical statements. It is important to learn proof-based math because it helps develop critical thinking skills and provides a strong foundation for advanced mathematical concepts. Some good books for introduction to proof-based math include "How to Prove It: A Structured Approach," "Introduction to Mathematical Thinking," and "Understanding Analysis." While a strong foundation in basic math is helpful, there are no specific prerequisites for studying proof-based math. To improve skills in proof-based math, it is recommended to practice regularly, seek guidance from experienced mathematicians, and read from a variety of sources.
mathsciguy
I'm kind of new to proof based mathematics, can you guys give me an advice on what a good book pertaining to this should I get?

I don't really care about what particular subject in mathematics it is, just as long as it can give me a good knowledge and skills in proving, and it's something suited for a beginner.

Physics news on Phys.org
I found one, it's: Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning by Peter Eccles. Sorry, I think the thread can be closed now; or not, if you guys think you can still dump more useful books here.

1. What is "proof-based math"?

"Proof-based math" is a branch of mathematics that emphasizes the use of rigorous logical arguments, or proofs, to establish the truth of mathematical statements. This approach is often used in more advanced areas of mathematics such as abstract algebra, real analysis, and topology.

2. Why is it important to learn proof-based math?

Learning proof-based math can help develop critical thinking skills and improve logical reasoning abilities. It also provides a solid foundation for understanding more advanced mathematical concepts and techniques.

3. What are some good books for an introduction to proof-based math?

Some popular books for learning proof-based math include "How to Prove It: A Structured Approach" by Daniel J. Velleman, "Introduction to Mathematical Thinking" by Keith Devlin, and "Understanding Analysis" by Stephen Abbott.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying proof-based math?

While a strong foundation in basic mathematics is helpful, there are no specific prerequisites for studying proof-based math. However, it is important to have a willingness to think abstractly and to approach problems in a systematic and logical manner.

5. How can I improve my skills in proof-based math?

One of the best ways to improve skills in proof-based math is to practice regularly. It is also helpful to seek out guidance from experienced mathematicians or attend workshops or courses on proof techniques. Additionally, reading and studying from a variety of sources can help develop a deeper understanding of the subject.