Good book for electronics self study

In summary, the person is looking for recommendations for books on self-study of electronics design. They want to improve their skills in designing circuits and understand the reasoning behind certain design choices. They mention having a background in calculus and list some books they are considering. Another person suggests getting an "encyclopedia of electronics" book and mentions "the art of electronics" as a good option. They also mention the availability of online resources.
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good solid book(s) for self study of electronics design? I emphasize design because I recently finished an electronics course in college and have found that I am decent at solving book problems but horrible at designing circuits. I still have no clue how to design any useful, interesting circuits. I'd love to be able to get to a point where I can say "I need to design a circuit that will accomplish x" I'm very eager to learn, and would like to know everything I can about circuit design. I would like to understand why capacitors are used in certain places but not others, why the particular valued resistors were used, etc.

I've had a few semesters of calculus, so math shouldn't be a problem. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've been eying these three books:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470289619/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201361833/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0028028333/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Can anyone make any recommendations?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Get one of those "encyclopedia of electronics" books that have hundreds of circuits. If you analyze those instead of homework problems you'll get a good feel for the variety of design techniques people use.

I've heard good things about "the art of electronics" but I haven't used it.

There are lots of online PDF files and application notes but you have to search high and low to stumble onto them.

Art of Electronics by Horowitz

Schaum's Outlines of Electric Circuits

Schaum's Outlines of Electronic Devices and Circuits

3000 Solved Problems in Electric Circuits

What are some good books for self-studying electronics?

Some popular books for self-studying electronics include "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill, "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz and Simon Monk, and "Getting Started in Electronics" by Forrest M. Mims III.

Are there any free resources available for self-studying electronics?

Yes, there are plenty of free online resources such as Khan Academy, All About Circuits, and Electronics Tutorials that offer comprehensive lessons and tutorials on electronics.

Do I need any prior knowledge to start self-studying electronics?

No, you do not need any prior knowledge to start learning electronics. However, having a basic understanding of math and physics can be beneficial.

How long does it take to self-study electronics?

The time it takes to self-study electronics varies for each individual. It depends on your level of dedication, prior knowledge, and the complexity of the concepts you want to learn. It could take anywhere from a few months to a few years to become proficient in electronics.

What are some key topics that should be covered in a good book for electronics self-study?

A good book for electronics self-study should cover topics such as basic circuit analysis, electronic components and their functions, digital logic, microcontrollers, and practical circuit design. It should also include hands-on projects and experiments for a better understanding of the concepts.