Good book on trigonometry proofs?

In summary, the conversation is about the search for a decent and affordable book on trigonometry that covers high school material and prepares for college courses. Two recommendations are given, one for "Trigonometry" by Gelfand, which is a rigorous and comprehensive book that covers triangles and circles but not the complex plane. The other recommendation is for "Trigonometry" by Larson & Hostetler, which is a good option for a semester course and includes complex numbers, vectors, and applications exercises.
farleyknight
Hey all,

I'm looking for a decent, (and preferably cheap) book, or books, on trigonometry. Something that proves some or all the trig equations we're expected to remember in high school stuff (most of which I've forgotten), but it should also leave room for my curiosity so I can prepare for higher level college courses in geometry. If it included triangles and circles on the complex plane, that would be a plus.

Thanks,
- Farley

Physics news on Phys.org
Trigonometry by Gelfand.

Gelfand is a real mathematician and his trig book is a rigorous treatment of the subject, with challenging questions. It includes triangles and circles, and proves all things triangle like pythoagorean theorem and ptolemy's theorem, even triangle similarity theorems. Nothing on the complex plane though. All the trionometric relations are stated and proved. It is also cheap, at $30. It looks like it meets your criteria:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0817639144/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Not sure if it is "good" or not, but I believe it is basically good; Trigonometry (not remember which edition) by Larson & Hostetler. You could find it cheap, used, from a library book sale. You can likely also find other truly good Trigonometry books from used book sales. The Larson & Hostetler book contains everything you would want in a semester course, including complex numbers, vectors, vector projections, some applications exercises in almost every section of the book. Yes, bunches of stuff on triangles, too.

1. What is a good book for learning trigonometry proofs?

One highly recommended book for learning trigonometry proofs is "Trigonometry: Proofs, Identities, and Formulas" by Gelfand and Saul.

2. Is there a specific level or prerequisite knowledge needed for this book?

This book is suitable for those with a basic understanding of trigonometry and algebra. It also covers more advanced topics, making it suitable for both beginners and those looking to deepen their understanding.

3. Does this book include exercises and practice problems?

Yes, this book includes a wide range of exercises and practice problems to help readers apply the concepts and techniques learned in each chapter.

4. Are there any online resources or supplementary materials available for this book?

Yes, the authors have provided a website with additional resources, including video lectures, worksheets, and solutions to selected exercises.

5. Can this book be used as a reference for trigonometry proofs?

Yes, this book not only teaches the fundamentals of trigonometry proofs, but also serves as a useful reference for more advanced topics and techniques.