What's a good book for last year of A levels Maths?

In summary, the person is looking for a book to self-study this summer before their last course of Bachillerato before they go to university to study Physics. They are comfortable with real numbers, derivative stuff, solving limits, and basic trigonometry and geometry. They would like a book that is free, but they can access it anyway.
PhysicsLad
I'm looking for a book to self-study this summer before my last course of Bachillerato (A Levels or High School in other countries).

My performance in Mathematics has only improved and I've just been given the maximum mark this last term (10/10 or A+). This has motivated me a lot to keep studying on my own before attending classes again (in September).

The course content that I need to study is composed by the following:

- Linear Algebra (matrices, determinants, linear equation systems, Cramer's rule)
- Derivatives and Integrals (applications of Calculus, Rolle-Lagrange-Cauchy-l'Hopital, definite and indefinite integrals)
- Geometry (vector space, points planes and lines, positions...)

I'm comfortable at playing with real numbers, doing essential derivative stuff (Chain rule and so on), solving limits. I know basic trigonometry and 2d plane geometry, introductory Statistics and Probability, typical imaginary numbers stuff, binomial theorem, solving basic systems with Gauss method...

The book would ideally be free but I can always access it anyway, if you know what I mean. I will study Physics at uni after this course. If you can point me out some introductory Combinatorics it's a big plus...

Physics news on Phys.org
MIT has courses meant for high-schoolers, the "scholar" versions. Search for "MIT Scholar" and you'll find what you need.

PS. I notice what you must learn is not that deep, for example Taylor's theorem is not included. So these scholar courses are probably at the right level for you.

Last edited:
Likes PhysicsLad
Thank you. I'm taking a look at the Single Variable Calculus lectures.

Anybody?

You've been helped, young man. And asking for books that you can download anyway is asking for trouble.

Aight, I was just hoping somebody would help with the Geometry and Combinatorics part (I didn't find info about these on MIT).

Where did I mention downloads though? There are plenty of public libraries here:biggrin: (I just prefer open source for readiness and personal preference)

1. What are some good books for last year of A levels Maths?

Some popular books for last year of A levels Maths include "Further Pure Mathematics" by Brian Gaulter and Mark Gaulter, "Calculus" by James Stewart, "Mechanics" by Keith Pledger, and "Statistics" by John Crawshaw and Diane Wilson.

2. What is the best book for last year of A levels Maths?

The best book for last year of A levels Maths will vary depending on personal preference and learning style. It is recommended to explore different options and choose the book that best aligns with your individual needs and goals.

3. Do I need to buy a textbook for last year of A levels Maths?

While it is not required to purchase a textbook for last year of A levels Maths, it can be a helpful resource for studying and understanding complex concepts. Many schools and libraries also have textbooks available for students to borrow.

4. Are there any online resources for last year of A levels Maths?

Yes, there are many online resources available for last year of A levels Maths, including practice questions, video tutorials, and interactive quizzes. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, MathsGenie, and ExamSolutions.

5. Are there any revision guides for last year of A levels Maths?

Yes, there are several revision guides specifically designed for last year of A levels Maths, such as "A-Level Mathematics: Revision Guide" by CGP Books and "AQA A Level Mathematics Year 2: Revision Guide" by David Baker. These guides often include condensed summaries, practice questions, and helpful tips for exam preparation.