Good Books about the Overviews of Mathematics

In summary, the speaker is surprised to find themselves interested in mathematics beyond the standard computational and arithmetic practices. They are looking for book recommendations that provide a short overview of different areas and branches of mathematics, with a preference for popular science style and not too rigorous. They hope the book will expand their knowledge and interest in the subject. One recommendation is "A Tour of the Calculus" by David Berlinski, although some parts may be too advanced for someone with high school math knowledge.
Seydlitz
Hi guys,

I'm quite surprised that I'm interested in this. I've never really thought how wide and interesting Mathematics can be outside of normal plug-and-chug, computational or arithmetic based Math. Yes it can be challenging as Spivak's Calculus book shows it, but I find myself being glued on it, and curious at the same time on what else lies beyond.

Could you guys hence recommend me books then perhaps, that serve as a short overview or introduction, and give its reader taste on different areas and branches of Mathematics? I don't mind popular science style books since I only have currently high school Math knowledge. It doesn't need to be very comprehensive or rigorous either, since I only want to expand my knowledge and interest on the subject, one that will hopefully motivate me to be always interested in Math.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the importance of studying mathematics?

Studying mathematics is essential because it helps develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It is the basis for various fields such as science, engineering, finance, and technology. Additionally, mathematics is used in everyday life, from managing personal finances to making informed decisions.

2. What are the key topics covered in a good book about the overviews of mathematics?

A good book about the overviews of mathematics should cover the fundamental concepts and principles of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and number theory. It should also provide a historical perspective and real-world applications of these topics.

3. Are there any recommended books for beginners in mathematics?

Yes, there are several recommended books for beginners in mathematics, such as "A Mathematician's Lament" by Paul Lockhart, "How Not to Be Wrong" by Jordan Ellenberg, and "The Joy of x" by Steven Strogatz. These books provide a gentle introduction to mathematical concepts and are written in an engaging and accessible manner.

4. How can reading books about the overviews of mathematics improve my understanding of the subject?

Reading books about the overviews of mathematics can improve your understanding of the subject by providing a comprehensive and structured overview of key topics. It can also introduce you to new perspectives and approaches to problem-solving, as well as real-world applications of mathematical concepts.

5. Can books on the overviews of mathematics be beneficial for advanced learners?

Yes, books on the overviews of mathematics can be beneficial for advanced learners as well. These books can serve as a refresher of fundamental concepts and principles, provide a deeper understanding of advanced topics, and introduce new areas of mathematics that the reader may not have explored before.