Good books to learn machine learning using Python

In summary, the author recommends getting a book devoted to Python programming and another on machine learning, plus the book you mentioned.
EngWiPy
Hello,

I am new to both Python and machine learning. I am trying to learn by reading books on machine learning using Python. I started with this book. I could manage the first 3 chapters (although I had to dissect the codes on Github because not all the codes are included and explained in the book), but then it suddenly went to data sets of 15 and 32 GBs with advanced stuff in Python! I don't want to spend hours on processing datasets now, I just want to learn the basics and see how things work. For those who are in the field of data science, do you have a recommended book that teaches both (Python and machine learning) for a beginner? or any other way to learn both?

Thanks in advance

Technology news on Phys.org
S_David said:
I am new to both Python and machine learning. I am trying to learn by reading books on machine learning using Python. I started with this book. I could manage the first 3 chapters (although I had to dissect the codes on Github because not all the codes are included and explained in the book), but then it suddenly went to data sets of 15 and 32 GBs with advanced stuff in Python! I don't want to spend hours on processing datasets now, I just want to learn the basics and see how things work. For those who are in the field of data science, do you have a recommended book that teaches both (Python and machine learning) for a beginner? or any other way to learn both?
I don't know much about machine learning, but I suspect that there aren't many books that are devoted to both machine learning and Python. Since you are new to Python, my recommendation is to get a book devoted exclusively to Python programming and another on machine learning, plus the book you mentioned. The same outfit publishes another book, as well.

As I recommended in another of your threads, it's worthwhile to spend time reading the Python docs. They cover a lot of ground, and include many examples.

Likes QuantumQuest and EngWiPy
This article covers a lot of good resources for python and it’s machine learning libraries

https://www.kdnuggets.com/2015/11/seven-steps-machine-learning-python.html

I know many folks go with the anaconda distribution for python as it comes loaded with modules for doing numerical computing in data science and related disciplines.

Here’s more on python

https://lectures.quantecon.org/py/

Last edited:
Likes EngWiPy
I've just gone through this process. There are some excellent tutorials on youtube with examples programs written as you go through them. This one is a pretty good starting point. It uses Python and a package called TensorFlow.

Cheers

Likes EngWiPy

1. What are some good books to learn machine learning using Python?

Some popular books for learning machine learning using Python include "Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn and TensorFlow" by Aurélien Géron, "Python Machine Learning" by Sebastian Raschka and Vahid Mirjalili, and "Deep Learning with Python" by François Chollet.

2. Are there any beginner-friendly books for learning machine learning with Python?

Yes, there are several beginner-friendly books for learning machine learning with Python, such as "Introduction to Machine Learning with Python" by Sarah Guido and Andreas C. Müller, "Python Machine Learning for Beginners" by Mark Smart, and "Python Machine Learning: A Step-by-Step Guide for Beginners" by Leonard Eddison.

3. Are there any free online resources for learning machine learning with Python?

Yes, there are many free online resources available for learning machine learning with Python, such as tutorials on YouTube, online courses on platforms like Coursera and edX, and open-source textbooks like "Python Data Science Handbook" by Jake VanderPlas.

4. Can I learn machine learning with Python without any prior programming experience?

It is recommended to have some prior programming experience before diving into machine learning with Python. However, there are some beginner-friendly resources available that can help individuals with no prior programming experience learn machine learning with Python.

5. Are there any books that focus specifically on deep learning with Python?

Yes, there are several books that specifically focus on deep learning with Python, such as "Deep Learning with Python" by François Chollet, "Python Deep Learning" by Ivan Vasilev, and "Deep Learning with Python: A Hands-On Introduction" by Nikhil Buduma and Nicholas Locascio.