Good glue/adhesive to bond a 30 micrometer kapton foil

• Thread starter Rajini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bond
In summary: you are quite right; one could apply a force of ~2 psi (approximately 2 pounds per inch 2) to bond the kapton tape to the copper surface, and wait 5 days for the adhesive to set.
Rajini
Hi PF members,
Is there any good glue/adhesive to bond a 30 micrometer kapton foil to copper metal...
The bonding should be strong enough to withstand liquid helium temperature (my working condition is 4.2 K to room temperature)...I can cure only at room temperature.
or
anyone have some experience with
3M scotch-weld epoxy adhesive 2216 B/A please share your experience..
thanks you for your reply.

Engineering news on Phys.org

I don't quite understand what you are trying to do; are you simply trying to glue kapton tape to copper? No other requirements?
Just about any glue will work reasonably well down to 4.2K; the main reason why people use "special" glues when working at low temperatures is either because they are worried about out-gasing (since low-temperatures experiments are often done in vacuum) or because they need good thermal conductivity, but the latter is rarely a problem if the temperature is as high as 4.2K.

I personally tend to use something called Eccobond which is a two-component epoxy and has reasonably good thermal conductivity.
And of course I also use Stycast (just like everyone else), but that is a bit messier to use.

I will explain my situation clearly (i want to make a window for my cryostat!)...Think i have a hollow copper rod (2 cm X 2 cm) and length say 30 cm. Now on the surface of the hollow rod i have two holes diametre of 1 cm. X-ray can pass through one hole and come out from the other hole. I want to glue/bond/cover the two holes using kapton foil (30 micrometer thick). Along the path of X-ray i keep my sample, which will be at liquid helium temperature. Outside the rod there will be high vacuum and inside constantly liquid helium will be flowing just to cool the sample..
So bonding must be good at 4.2 K also withstand high vacuum..(i don't care about thermal or electrical conduction properties or doesn't matter about chemical resistance properties)..
PS: I can only cure at room temperature..and i can only glue from outside surface of the rod.

Another question (this is not so important but i like to know..)...in the glue manual it's mentioned that i should apply force (~2 psi=2 pound/inch^2) to bond, and wait for 5 days...but my surface area is ~2 cm X 2 cm...so 155 grams weight should be enough..i am correct..?

Rajini said:
Another question (this is not so important but i like to know..)...in the glue manual it's mentioned that i should apply force (~2 psi=2 pound/inch^2) to bond, and wait for 5 days...but my surface area is ~2 cm X 2 cm...so 155 grams weight should be enough..i am correct..?

2 cm x 2 cm = 4 cm^2 = 0.62 sq inches
0.62 x 2 = 1.24 pounds = 0.562 kg.

alxm said:
2 cm x 2 cm = 4 cm^2 = 0.62 sq inches
0.62 x 2 = 1.24 pounds = 0.562 kg.

Yes..thanks..

1. What is the best type of glue to bond a 30 micrometer kapton foil?

The best type of glue to bond a 30 micrometer kapton foil would be a high strength, flexible adhesive that is specifically designed for use with polyimide films like kapton. Examples of such adhesives include acrylic-based adhesives or silicone-based adhesives.

2. Can regular super glue be used to bond a 30 micrometer kapton foil?

No, regular super glue should not be used to bond a 30 micrometer kapton foil. Super glue is not flexible enough and can cause the kapton foil to become brittle and break. It is important to use an adhesive that is specifically designed for use with polyimide films.

3. How long does it take for the glue to fully bond the kapton foil?

The bonding time for glue to fully bond a 30 micrometer kapton foil will vary depending on the type of adhesive used and the environmental conditions. Typically, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a full day for the adhesive to fully cure and bond the kapton foil.

4. Is it necessary to prepare the surfaces before applying the adhesive?

Yes, it is necessary to properly prepare the surfaces before applying the adhesive to ensure a strong bond. This includes cleaning the surfaces to remove any dirt, oils, or contaminants that could affect the bonding process. Additionally, lightly sanding or roughening the surfaces can also help improve the bond strength.

5. Can the bonded kapton foil withstand high temperatures?

Yes, the bonded kapton foil can withstand high temperatures. Kapton is known for its ability to withstand extreme temperatures, and when bonded with a high strength adhesive, it can maintain its properties even at high temperatures. However, it is important to choose an adhesive that is specifically designed for high temperature applications.