Good ideas concerning shortening and lengthening electrical impulses

In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to change the electrical impulses from an impulse source without changing the settings of the source. The goal is to send these impulses through two separate branches with different pulse lengths without causing reflections in the circuit. Suggestions include using coax cable as a delay line or using a separate circuit triggered by the signal source. The issue has since been resolved.
freddyfish
Hey

Basically, what I am wondering is if anyone has any great ideas how to change the electrical impulses from an impulse source giving steady pulses if you can't change the settings of the source.

What I would like to do is make send these impulses through two separate branches (they share the same impulse source) and shorten one impulse by 5 ns while lengthening the impulse through the other branch by the same amount. Each one of these branches contain an instrument with high impedance, and also I would like to avoid reflections in the circuit. The impulses are square waves with amplitude of order a few volt and the period is, say, 15μs.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should really ask this in the electronics sub forum. Do you care about the pulse amplitude? If you don't and if your signal is large enough, you could split the signal and try to put a meter of coax cable (look at your cable specs to get 5ns) as a delay line, then combine the signals again using an or-gate and an and-gate. In theory these speeds should be possible. But there are probably more elegant ways to achieve this.

freddyfish said:
Hey

Basically, what I am wondering is if anyone has any great ideas how to change the electrical impulses from an impulse source giving steady pulses if you can't change the settings of the source.

What I would like to do is make send these impulses through two separate branches (they share the same impulse source) and shorten one impulse by 5 ns while lengthening the impulse through the other branch by the same amount. Each one of these branches contain an instrument with high impedance, and also I would like to avoid reflections in the circuit. The impulses are square waves with amplitude of order a few volt and the period is, say, 15μs.

Thanks

(Thread moved to the EE forum)

Can you just use the signal source as a trigger for a separate circuit that generates the 2 pulses that you want?

Same reaction: add the circuitry, if it's a matter of 5ns.

Things like pulse compression exist, but are meant for very short pulses or for very high energy. As well, users don't expect nice waveforms from these circuits.

Thank you all for your answers. Everything is now solved, so the problem is eliminated.

What are the benefits of shortening electrical impulses?

Shortening electrical impulses can have several benefits, including reducing energy consumption, increasing processing speed, and improving overall efficiency of electrical systems. It can also help prevent damage to sensitive components and reduce the risk of electrical fires.

How can electrical impulses be shortened?

Electrical impulses can be shortened through various methods such as using resistors, capacitors, or inductors in a circuit. Additionally, using high-quality materials and optimizing the design of the circuit can also help shorten electrical impulses.

What are the potential drawbacks of shortening electrical impulses?

Shortening electrical impulses may lead to reduced range or coverage in wireless communication systems. It can also result in increased signal distortion and reduced signal-to-noise ratio, impacting the quality of the signal.

How can electrical impulses be lengthened?

Electrical impulses can be lengthened by using amplifiers or signal repeaters in a circuit. These components can amplify the signal strength and extend the duration of the electrical impulses.

Are there any safety considerations when dealing with shortening and lengthening electrical impulses?

Yes, there are several safety considerations to keep in mind when working with electrical impulses. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate protective gear to avoid electric shocks. Additionally, it is crucial to have a thorough understanding of the circuit and its components to prevent any potential hazards.