Good online or physical location junk/scrap electronics,science

• Thread starter andrewkg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physical
In summary, the conversation is about finding a good scrap or junk yard that sells low-priced electronics, science, aviation, and military supplies. The person is specifically looking for old radars, satellite dishes, monitors, medical electronics, computers, sensors, etc. Location does not matter and the person is going to Los Angeles later in the month. The expert recommends checking out salvage and surplus companies near universities and research centers, as well as aerospace companies in the Los Angeles area. They provide a list of 69 possible options and an additional list of 5 places that specialize in electronics and optics. The person also asks for recommendations in Silicon Valley and the expert suggests Halted Electronics and Weird Stuff Electronics.
andrewkg
Hello.
Im looking for a good scrap or junk yard that has good supplies for low prices, mainly electronics, science, aviation, military. Just a place that sells decent quality stuff that can be used for science related stuff. Like old radars, satellite dishes, monitors, medical electronics, computers, sensors, etc. Also location doesn't matter.
THANKS!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Depends on where you live. If you're in the Los Angeles area I can offer some great places to find exactly what you're asking for.

well I am going to LA later this month. So that works perfectly. Can you give me a list please.
Thanks!

Salvage and Surplus companies near universities and research centers often have the remnants of experiments and mock-ups. Consider the locations of UCLA, USC, Cal Tech, and JPL, just to name a few. Aerospace companies often clear out their entire laboratories by selling to these companies. Here are 69 chances, including contact information, just in case you want to check on what they have before you go.
http://www.yellowpages.com/los-angeles-ca/surplus-salvage-merchandise?g=Los+Angeles%2C+CA&q=Surplus+%26+Salvage+Merchandise

Here’s a second list of 5 places found by narrowing the search to include the terms “electronics and optics”. My all-time favorite, Apex Electronics, is the first one!
http://www.yellowpages.com/los-angeles-ca/electronics-optics-surplus-salvage-merchandise?g=Los+Angeles%2C+CA&q=electronics+optics+Surplus+%26+Salvage+Merchandise

andrewkg said:
well I am going to LA later this month. So that works perfectly. Can you give me a list please.
Thanks!

Where are you located physically? Here in Silicon Valley we have a number of good places to shop for used/surplus electronics and other stuff...

Halted Electronics -- http://www.halted.com/

Weird Stuff Electronics -- http://www.weirdstuff.com/

:smile:

1. What types of electronics can be considered "junk" or "scrap" for science purposes?

Any electronic device that is no longer functioning or is outdated can be considered junk or scrap for science purposes. This can include old computers, cell phones, printers, and other gadgets.

2. Where can I find good online sources for junk/scrap electronics for scientific experiments?

There are many online marketplaces and forums where individuals sell or give away their old electronics for free. Some popular options include Craigslist, eBay, and Freecycle.

3. Are there any safety concerns when using junk/scrap electronics for science experiments?

Yes, it is important to take proper precautions when handling old electronics, especially if they contain hazardous materials. Make sure to wear protective gear and dispose of any materials properly according to local regulations.

4. How can I determine if an online or physical location is reliable for acquiring junk/scrap electronics?

It is always best to research the seller or location before making a purchase or acquiring electronics for free. Look for reviews or ask for recommendations from other scientists or hobbyists.

5. Can junk/scrap electronics be used for advanced scientific experiments or are they only suitable for basic projects?

Junk/scrap electronics can be used for a wide range of scientific experiments, from basic to advanced. It all depends on the specific electronics and how you use them. With some creativity and tinkering, you can create complex experiments with seemingly simple junk devices.