Good Phys. Knowledge vs. Good Math Knowledge

• Thread starter razored
  • Start date
I will attempt to study rudimentary Physics and Calculus on my own over the summer; but my main concern is, what to focus more on, math or physics. What I am asking is, if i become study more and become "good" at Physics, would it also guarantee I would be "good" at Calculus? Or is it the other way around. I hope i'm saying this correctly... but I do know one cannot exist without the other; they are both crucial to survival of each.

Answers and Replies

Well, eventhough i do not know much about physics, i could say that in order to be able to fully understand physics you defenitely need to work through calculus 1,2,3, Differential Equations, and probbably also Linear Algebra. But defenitely Calculus I is the key to understanding physics, it is only my opinion thoug. To be a good physicist one needs to be a good mathematician first!! While the vice-versa is not nessesary! you can be a great mathematician but a horrible physicist!

CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If you don't know your calculus forward and backward, you won't do well in physics. DiffEq, Linear Algebra, and maybe some computer programming would also serve well.