1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good Physicist and Mathematical Problem Solving.

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1
    I have this problem that if I'm not able to solve each and every, or almost all, of the problems at the back of each chapter, I get extremely frustrated and start thinking that I can't really make a good physicist since a good physicist should be able to solve any kind of problem related to physics.

Is it OK if I can't solve some of them? Or do I have to practice constantly untill and unless I develop the ability to solve all of em? BTW, I'm an undergraduate Electrical Engineering student, though I intened to do my masters in theoretical Physics.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2
    No, you don't need to be able to do each and every one. Still, I don't want to disuade you not to try hard on the difficult problems because this is what really gets your brain working. I'd say be able to do about 90% of them, and get help for the ones that troubled you. It seems problem solving is a skill that sort of grows on you. By the end of the year, you more than likely will be able to solve all of them and wonder what held you back at the beggining. What holds one back is that they are being exposed to the material for the first time and still don't see all the connections. This comes with practice. Also, some problems are just worded poorly and/or are too imaginative. Don't waste insane amounts of time on a compulsion to do them all when that time can be devoted to honing other skills in other subjects. Then, if free time permits, obsess all you want.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?