Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good places to eat, attractions, etc., around the Pittsburgh area?

1. May 28, 2007 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, I'm moved in here in Pittsburgh for my REU. Even though I've been a PA native my whole life, I've never been to Pittsburgh.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good places to eat, attractions, etc., around the Pittsburgh area?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2007 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I live about an hour from Pittsburgh, and I haven't spent a LOT of time in Pittsburgh to know where to really find much (though I'll be keeping an eye on this thread too, because every once in a while, I'd like to head up there, but never am quite sure where to go). There is the Pittsburgh Zoo, though I haven't been to that yet. Also in the list of things I haven't been to, but keep meaning to get around to doing, and not in Pittsburgh, but in the general area, is Falling Water. That's a Frank Lloyd Wright house that has tours available. They strongly recommend making advanced reservations (two weeks ahead during the busy summer season), which is the reason I haven't visited there yet, because I just think of it on the spur of the moment when I find myself with a free day. http://www.paconserve.org/index-fw1.asp

The only other thing I can really help with is that there are several malls in the Pittsburgh area, but the largest, and best one is Robinson Towne Center. There's both an indoor mall and large shopping center all clustered together. You should be able to find anything and everything you need there. Just follow the signs toward the airport, and it's on the way just a few exits before the airport, nice and easy to find.

4. May 28, 2007 #3
    Pamelas is good for breakfast.

5. May 28, 2007 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're a Museum person, you should go the the Museum of Art and Natural History - it's 2 museums for the price of 1. The Carnegie Science Center does not rate very highly on my science museum scale, but they do have a cool laser show on weekend nights (typically set to Floyd or The Doors). The Conservatory is also famous, but I've been to better. The Museum of Learning is a must see, and it's just by the U Pitt campus.

Station Square is a nice place to go eating out at. Also, if you don't care too much about calories, you must try a sandwich at Primanti's. The Church Brew Works - you may need to be above 21 to enter - has some good food at reasonable prices, a nice selection of beers, and their Brewmisu (their own take on a tiramisu) comes straight from heaven. There's also a very good ice cream place just off 5th Ave, near CMU - can't remember the name.

One of the first places you will end up visiting is Mt. Washington. It's got some great views (if you've got a good camera, take it along) and the rides up and down the inclines and kinda fun too.

The Robinson Town Center is about 25 minutes from the campus (U Pitt/CMU) area, but it does have an IKEA!

6. May 28, 2007 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hey, thanks alot guys! Keep'em coming!

7. May 28, 2007 #6
    how do the CMU/UPitts campuses look...and is it easy to travel between them?
    If i ever do my Phd in my primary interest, and if i decide to goto the states, those are the schools that are #1 on my list.

8. May 28, 2007 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As campuses go, they're okay, and they are located about a mile apart.

9. May 28, 2007 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Speaking of Pittsburgh - images from not far from a place Gokul mentioned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Station Square has some good restaurants, but they are a little pricey.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?