Good textbooks for math and science?

In summary, some recommended textbooks for undergraduate math and science include: "Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart for math, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Beichner for calculus-based physics, and "Chemistry" by Silberberg for general chemistry. For those who prefer a different calculus book, "Calculus" by Larson & Hostetler may be a good alternative.
pakmingki2
so, list some good textbooks for undergraduate math and science.

of course early transcendentals by james steward will probably be on everyone's list for math, but let's try to get some new names.

i would say physics for scientists and engineers by serway and beichner is extremely well written for calculus based physics.

for chemistry, i would say chemistry by silberberg is topnotch in general chem.

O yea, list authors, since books tend to have the same names.

Physics news on Phys.org
I hate stewarts calc book, Larsons is so much better.

Llama77 said:

what is larson's called?

Llama77 said:

Do you mean Larson & Hostetler?

Some people feel that the Larson & Hostetler book is inferior to some other common ones.

1. What makes a textbook a "good" textbook for math and science?

A good textbook for math and science should have clear and concise explanations of concepts, relevant and practical examples, and a variety of practice problems to reinforce understanding. It should also include visuals such as diagrams and graphs to aid in comprehension.

2. How can I determine if a textbook is appropriate for my level of understanding?

Most textbooks will have a description or preface that outlines the intended audience and level of difficulty. It is also helpful to preview the table of contents and sample chapters to get a sense of the topics covered and the level of detail provided.

3. Are there any specific features I should look for in a math and science textbook?

Some features that can enhance the effectiveness of a math and science textbook include practice problems with solutions, online resources such as interactive quizzes and videos, and real-world applications of concepts. Additionally, a glossary and index can make it easier to quickly find and review specific information.

4. Is it necessary to have a physical copy of a textbook, or are digital versions just as good?

This ultimately depends on personal preference, but both physical and digital versions can be equally effective. Some people prefer the convenience and portability of digital textbooks, while others prefer the tactile experience of physically flipping through pages. It is important to choose the format that works best for your learning style.

5. Are there any recommended textbooks that cover both math and science?

Yes, there are several textbooks that cover both math and science topics, such as "Mathematics for the Nonmathematician" by Morris Kline and "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma. It is also common for textbooks to cover a specific branch of science, such as chemistry or biology, and include relevant math concepts within the chapters.