Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Google/Youtube log, 14 terabytes to Viacom

1. Jul 3, 2008 #1
    I am glad I never created an account on youtube. I do not use it much. Viacom will not be able to know which video I have been watching.

I wonder, once they found you watch copyrighted material every day, what will they do about it ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Viacom needs to get a clue and realize that youtube is free advertising. I have purchased a number of cd's and DVD's from things I found on youtube that I would have never have purchased otherwise.

Viacom should be PAYING youtube for the advertising. I have now boycotted buying anything Viacom.
  4. Jul 3, 2008 #3
    Yeah, they are going to sue the billions of viewers who use youtube around the world. A little sense goes a long way........this is just fear mongering. Sucka, fool!
  5. Jul 3, 2008 #4
    Nothing, they just take it off and maybe shutdown the account of the person who posted it. Nowadays, 14 Tb isn't too much, they sell RAID servers that have 5Tb and larger HDDs.
  6. Jul 3, 2008 #5
    Good point, I did not think about that. What could they do anyway against people in another country ? I mean, even in principle.

I have the same feeling as Evo, and it puzzles me that Viacom does not realize how much the whole thing actually hurts them.
  7. Jul 3, 2008 #6

How are you even supposed to know that some link you click on is a Viacom product?

I have to click on and view all of the links posted to make sure the content is appropriate even if I don't like it. I have no clue if it's allowable or not. My job is to be sure the video meets our guidelines for language and content.
  8. Jul 3, 2008 #7
    I feel like creating an account and searching for copyrighted material now. But I prefer reading PF really, coz, yeah, sucka fool!
  9. Jul 3, 2008 #8
    Heh, I've watched 2,933 videos while logged in according to my youtube profile.
  10. Jul 3, 2008 #9
    I pitty the fool who doesnt you tube.
  11. Jul 3, 2008 #10
    Well i'll be. Never even knew there was a stats page for videos watched...

Videos Watched: 1,835

Looks like I need to increase my Youtubing!
  12. Jul 4, 2008 #11
    Videos Watched: 1,491

Well, I watched a TON while not online. So this aint accruate.
  13. Jul 4, 2008 #12
    Some friends of mine at UCI actually had a Youtube party where everyone brought drinks then sat down in the living room where they had a projector attached to the computer and everyone suggested their favourite youtube videos for watching. It was cheesy but kinda fun.
  14. Jul 4, 2008 #13
    My thoughts exactly. A while back I wanted to post something from the Daily Show but it was taken down. It was a small clip and it would have made more people watch it.

I can guarantee it's old people running Viacom. Old people who don't understand what the internet is (hint: it's not a dump truck) and freaking out when someone watches their stuff for free.
  15. Jul 4, 2008 #14
    Videos watched: 3199

However, I haven't used my youtube account in at least a year, however, that number always seemed to stick in my head.
  16. Jul 4, 2008 #15

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think it should be up to the individual user to sort out what is legal and not on YouTube, it should be Google's responsibility to comply with copyright laws...they're the ones making a profit on other people's work.

Viacom might be interested in going after those who upload their videos onto YouTube, but probably will only do that if they find someone who is doing enough of it to make it worth the trouble. More likely, I'm guessing they'd be using it as evidence that Google isn't doing enough to prevent copyright violations on their site.

I don't see how Google could possibly win this one. It's just blatantly obvious that they're distributing copyrighted content without permission and making a huge profit from that distribution and completely disregarding the law to do so.

In case folks don't understand this, it's not about people watching Viacom content for free, it's about Google making a profit off Viacom's content without paying Viacom licensing or royalty fees. It's the profit that makes it a problem, and it's the profit Viacom is going to go after. And in order to determine damages, they need to know how many times their content has been viewed and how much advertising profit would be made associated with it.
  17. Jul 4, 2008 #16

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then all google has to do is remove all viacom's shows from utube, and any mention of any viacom show or character from it's search engine - then you have about 1 week until people are asking via-who?

A recent report said the average age of the TV viewer was over 50 (or 60) - and if google block you, you pretty much cease to exist on the internet,
  18. Jul 4, 2008 #17

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem is Viacom HAS asked YouTube to do that, and their content is still appearing. There are other options besides not having the content, and one of those is to have a licensing agreement where Google pays Viacom royalties for any of their content that's being viewed, but that still requires Google to track that content properly. If Viacom wants to limit what you can view online to short clips and trailers on their own sites, that is their legal right to do so.

I really doubt the veracity of that. With all the discussion of TV shows around here, there sure seem to be plenty of young TV viewers. I haven't heard of very many young people ditching their TVs. But, if everyone is watching the content on YouTube and not on the TV, then that is exactly the problem...all the advertising money is going to Google, not Viacom. Google is cutting into Viacom's profits and not giving Viacom their fair share. It has nothing to do with what's coming up on their search engines, it's about what's being given away free for viewing on YouTube. Google is a business like any other and has to follow the same laws all businesses have to follow.

Everyone likes something for nothing, but that doesn't make it legal.
  19. Jul 4, 2008 #18
    I'm not really versed in legal issues but basically, Viacom now is insisting on viewing what I've watched without my permission to do so or in other words, they are invading my privacy. I know that personally, what I have done won't have any bearing on the case at hand, but basically, now Viacom has all the information on me and basically, they can use that against me. Who is to say that now that they know what I've watched, they won't pass some information onto the authorities and, just say I watched a Fidel Castro speech on YouTube, this would mean I might be denied entry into the USA. And all because they have access to my online records. I think we should counter-sue Viacom :tongue2:

Also, well, what does this mean for all online content. Does that mean people can make a bid to the courts and get hold of my emails? Or maybe a company can sue Microsoft and ask them for a list of all those "anonymous usage stats" that get sent to them whenever one of my programs crash. This whole ruling really scare me hey...

Listening to: The Beatles - Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
    via FoxyTunes
  20. Jul 4, 2008 #19

Youtube has been actively removing Viacom content for as long as i can remember, I am always clicking on youtube links only to find "this video has been deleted because of Viacom..." I think Google/youtube is doing an excellent job of deleting clips when they find them, but it's not like someones' crummy pixelated VCR recording under some "catchy title" is obvious to youtube when someone uploads it. And can you imagine how often clips are uploaded?

I was going to buy the two "Robin of Sherwood" DVD sets because I ran across a couple of shows that someone had uploaded and it reminded me of how much I loved that show. I have poor quality VCR recordings from when it was originally aired, and a quick google showed that they were finally coming out with the DVD's and would be able to pre-order in a couple of weeks. But when I linked back to the clip a couple of days later, the clips had been removed due to Viacom, so I refuse to buy them now. They are cutting off their own nose.

This was an old BBC program run on PBS, how on earth it got bought up by Viacom is beyond me. How are you to know what parent company owns the rights to something you're watching and that they "don't allow it"?
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  21. Jul 4, 2008 #20

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't need to know. Unless the parent company is the one uploading it, the person uploading it should be assumed to NOT have those rights. This really isn't all that complex. The ONLY thing any individual user has the right to upload are their own home movies. Legally, I don't even have the right to upload a movie taken by a friend. For example, if I decided to upload one of the vacation videos Zz put together and sent me, if he really wanted to, he could sue Google/YouTube for distributing his copyrighted material without permission. I honestly don't know how YouTube has gotten away with it this long. Your loyalties are misplaced to refuse to buy something because Viacom has asserted their rights and had material removed from YouTube.

Basically, if Google is providing the means to have these things uploaded, it is their responsibility to find a way to know what's being uploaded and if it's allowed. If they can't do that, then they just need to shut down YouTube completely. Google has been trying to shift the burden to the copyright owners, which is absolutely ridiculous. It's Google's business, they need to run it on accordance with the law.

And, as you point out, it might be in Viacom's interest to provide some clips to YouTube to entice viewers, and even to pay Google for that. So, why then is Google allowing just anyone to upload crappy pirated copies of shows when they could charge companies to upload trailers? They're obviously making more money off all the pirated copies, otherwise self-interest would motivate a different business model.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?