Google's page ranking algorithms

A few days ago I started a thread here on physicsforums about a new article on climate change. Yesterday I was using google to find out more about some related research. To my surprise the thread I started was on top when searching using some but rather generic keywords.

If you google using the search string "deadly blow", the thread I started is at nr. 3, even though the thread title was changed within hours by the moderator. How is this possible for such a generic search string as "deadly blow"?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

I may be wrong! but isn't the phrase 'deathly blow' and not 'deadly blow'? That may explain why this phrase isn't as common as you might think.

-Job-
Science Advisor
PF is fairly well ranked at Google i noticed, forums are good sources of information, so Google might rank forums higher.

AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
PF is fairly well ranked at Google i noticed.
PF runs Google ads. Coincidence, or not? :uhh:

Evo
Mentor
PF is fairly well ranked at Google i noticed, forums are good sources of information, so Google might rank forums higher.
PF has a high confidence rating, so threads started here show up at or near the top of searches.

CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Also, Google loves fresh content, so it's especially high as soon as the googlebot finds it.

-Job-
Science Advisor
PF runs Google ads. Coincidence, or not? :uhh:
That's a good point. If Google can drive traffic to sites with Google ads in favor of other sites why wouldn't they? I wonder...

Evo
Mentor
That's a good point. If Google can drive traffic to sites with Google ads in favor of other sites why wouldn't they? I wonder...
No, Google's Pigeon Ranking is completely above board. (I will never get tired of reading this)

http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
-Job-
Science Advisor
I can already see the tie breaker function:
Code:
Page A, B;
if(A.Rank == B.Rank){
    if(A.AdRank > B.AdRank) return A;
    else return B;
}
How many pigeons does it take to code that?