Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Google's page ranking algorithms

1. Aug 6, 2007 #1
    A few days ago I started a thread here on physicsforums about a new article on climate change. Yesterday I was using google to find out more about some related research. To my surprise the thread I started was on top when searching using some but rather generic keywords.

If you google using the search string "deadly blow", the thread I started is at nr. 3, even though the thread title was changed within hours by the moderator. How is this possible for such a generic search string as "deadly blow"?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2007 #2
    I may be wrong! but isn't the phrase 'deathly blow' and not 'deadly blow'? That may explain why this phrase isn't as common as you might think.

4. Aug 6, 2007 #3

-Job-

Science Advisor

PF is fairly well ranked at Google i noticed, forums are good sources of information, so Google might rank forums higher.

5. Aug 6, 2007 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

PF runs Google ads. Coincidence, or not? :uhh:

6. Aug 6, 2007 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

PF has a high confidence rating, so threads started here show up at or near the top of searches.

7. Aug 7, 2007 #6

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Also, Google loves fresh content, so it's especially high as soon as the googlebot finds it.

8. Aug 7, 2007 #7

-Job-

Science Advisor

That's a good point. If Google can drive traffic to sites with Google ads in favor of other sites why wouldn't they? I wonder...

9. Aug 7, 2007 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

No, Google's Pigeon Ranking is completely above board. (I will never get tired of reading this)

http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html

10. Aug 8, 2007 #9

-Job-

Science Advisor

I can already see the tie breaker function:
    Code (Text):

Page A, B;
    if(A.Rank == B.Rank){
        if(A.AdRank > B.AdRank) return A;
        else return B;
    }

How many pigeons does it take to code that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?