Did I "Kill" My Moderna Vaccine?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vaccine
In summary, the conversation revolves around a concern that wiping the vaccination site with rubbing alcohol and removing the band aid one hour after receiving the Moderna vaccine may have affected its efficacy. However, it is stated that the vaccine dose is already absorbed into the muscle tissue and topical cleaning should not have any effect. It is also suggested to consult a healthcare team for further reassurance.
kyphysics
VERY DUMB QUESTION:

Could I have "killed" my Moderna vaccine (or its efficacy)? I got a Moderna shot at 9AM today. At 10:45, the band aid "rubbed off" my arm when I was doing some moving around. I looked at the wound site and it was just a tiny pink "bump." No bleeding that I could tell. I threw away the band aid and just wiped the entire arm area with rubbing alcohol (to clean it).

THEN, I thought, oh wait! ...Could that rubbing alcohol have "seeped" into the shot site/wound and into my body and killed the vaccine or made it less efficacious? I know nothingn about biology/medicine, so forgive me if this sounds like a super dumb question.

I was thinking/hoping that the vaccine had already gotten into my blood stream and wouldn't just be "sitting there" collecting around the shot site. I figured it would be "circulating" throughout my entire body by now (again, it was 1.5-ish hours later...1 hour 45 min. to be exact since the shot)...I figured it I had IMMEDIATELY wiped the shot site with rubbing alcohol (say within minutes of the shot), perhaps that might mess up the vaccine...but would this time gap of 1 hour/45 min. be enough such that wiping the shot site with alcohol and throwing away the band aid (it's still off right now) wouldn't affect the vaccination process?

Biology news on Phys.org
There's a study on that very issue:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/news...s, wounds typically,dressing after just a day.

We can't give advice here. If you're worried it's best to see your doctor and ask or even the place where you got the shot.

The bandaid is usually there to prevent infection and to prevent your clothes from getting stained by any oozing blood. The article mentions that a day or so is long enough.

I believe the vaccine dose which is pretty small was already absorbed by your body into the muscle tissue.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/ac... are administered at,injection is 22-25 gauge.

Likes russ_watters
jedishrfu said:
But, those patients had band aids on after SKIN SURGERY, no?

If so, that seems very different from getting a small shot in the arm. I would think a surgeon cutting up my skin might require a longer time to keep the band aid on and perhaps the advice wouldn't generalize to regular vaccine shots?

What happened to talking to your vaccine provider or the doctor?

Any further discussion will result in giving medical advice and so it's best to close this thread now.

Likes russ_watters
kyphysics said:
THEN, I thought, oh wait! ...Could that rubbing alcohol have "seeped" into the shot site/wound and into my body and killed the vaccine or made it less efficacious? I know nothingn about biology/medicine, so forgive me if this sounds like a super dumb question.
The intramuscular (IM) injection leaves the vaccine dose well down in your deltoid muscle tissue. Topical cleaning an hour later should have no effect. If still in doubt, message your healthcare team (does your medical plan have a website that you sign into? if so, you should be able to ask a question via a message there).

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/admin/downloads/IM-Injection-adult.pdf

1. Did I actually "kill" my Moderna vaccine?

No, it is not possible to "kill" a vaccine. Vaccines are made up of weakened or dead versions of the virus or bacteria they are meant to protect against. They cannot be killed as they are not living organisms.

2. Can I accidentally damage my Moderna vaccine?

It is highly unlikely that you can accidentally damage your Moderna vaccine. The vaccine is stored and transported in specific conditions to ensure its effectiveness. As long as you followed the storage and handling instructions provided by your healthcare provider, your vaccine should be safe and effective.

3. What should I do if I dropped my Moderna vaccine?

If you dropped your Moderna vaccine, it is important to consult with your healthcare provider. They will be able to assess the situation and determine if the vaccine is still safe to use. In most cases, dropping the vaccine will not affect its effectiveness.

4. Can I still use my Moderna vaccine if it was left out of the fridge for a short period of time?

The Moderna vaccine is recommended to be stored in the fridge between 36-46°F (2-8°C). If the vaccine was left out of the fridge for a short period of time, it is unlikely to affect its effectiveness. However, it is always best to consult with your healthcare provider for their recommendation.

5. What should I do if I accidentally injected air into my Moderna vaccine?

If you accidentally injected air into your Moderna vaccine, it is important to consult with your healthcare provider. They will be able to assess the situation and determine if the vaccine is still safe to use. In most cases, injecting a small amount of air will not affect the effectiveness of the vaccine.