1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gr.12 Physics 30 TextBook *Curling(sport)* question

1. Feb 8, 2013 #1
    Question: Unit is on Momentum and Impulse
    Experienced Curlers know how to safely stop a moving stone. What do they do and why?

At first I thought sweeping helps the moving stone stop. But looking around the internet sweeping actually decreases the friction between the stone and the ice by forming water.

Another idea I had is sweeping caused the stone to travel across more surface area, allowing it to decelerate and stop earlier.

Do you guys have any ideas?
    Theory?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2013 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is not clear what the question is asking. Rocks stop due to ice friction (eg. a "draw to the button" - which is throwing a rock so that it stops at the centre of the circles without hitting a rock). They also stop by hitting another rock squarely and transferring the rock's momentum and energy to another rock.

Can you explain the physics for this?

AM

4. Feb 8, 2013 #3
    I asked my teacher today. It wasn't anything complicated about technique, etc. She just wanted me to explain how increasing time can decrease the net force during an impulse. Fnet▲T= impulse. The curler can catch the stone and move with it as the momentum decreases just like how catchers in baseball let their arms fall back when catching a baseball.

5. Feb 9, 2013 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should let her know that curler's don't catch stones. They throw them at other stones or get them to slide to a stop. So it is a bad example.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook