GR algebra pretty much (weak limit thm)

In summary, the conversation is about a problem in the weak limit theorem to recover Newtonian equations using algebra and the metric tensor. The question is regarding the use of two conventions for the flat space metric tensor and how to show that \partial_i = -\partial^i.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Hi

I am stuck on a small algebra set in the weak limit theorem to recover Newtonian equations

The text I am looking at:

##\frac{d^2x^i}{ds^2}+\Gamma^i_{tt}\frac{dt}{ds}\frac{dt}{ds}=0## (1)

##\Gamma^{i}_{tt}=-1/2 \eta^{ij}\partial_{j}h_{tt} ## (to first oder in the metric ##h_{uv}##) (2)

##dt/ds \approx 1##
and so using (2), (1) becomes:

##\frac{d^2 x^i}{ds^2}=-1/2\partial_ih_{tt}## (3)

MY QUESTION

##-1/2\eta^{ij}\partial_jh_{tt}## in (2)
##= -1/2 \partial^{i} h_tt ##

So for (3) I am getting

##\frac{d^2 x^i}{ds^2}=1/2\partial^ih_{tt}##

Im really confused how

##-1/2\eta^{ij}\partial_jh_{tt}=1/2\partial_{i}h_{tt}## , or at least that is what it looks like has been done.

Many thanks

Homework Equations

see above[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

see above

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two conventions for the flat space metric tensor (in Cartesian coordinates):
  1. [itex]\eta^{tt} = +1, \eta^{xx} = \eta^{yy} = \eta^{zz} =-1[/itex] (all the other components zero)
  2. [itex]\eta^{tt} = -1, \eta^{xx} = \eta^{yy} = \eta^{zz} =+1[/itex] (all the other components zero)
If they are using the first convention, then [itex]\partial_i = - \partial^i[/itex].

stevendaryl said:
There are two conventions for the flat space metric tensor (in Cartesian coordinates):
  1. [itex]\eta^{tt} = +1, \eta^{xx} = \eta^{yy} = \eta^{zz} =-1[/itex] (all the other components zero)
  2. [itex]\eta^{tt} = -1, \eta^{xx} = \eta^{yy} = \eta^{zz} =+1[/itex] (all the other components zero)
If they are using the first convention, then [itex]\partial_i = - \partial^i[/itex].

I have ##\eta^{ij}\partial_{j}=-\partial^i ## , don't know how to show [itex]\partial_i = - \partial^i[/itex]. ( well since ##\eta## is diagonal I know I really have ##i=j## but to keep the index notation clear..)

binbagsss said:
I have ##\eta^{ij}\partial_{j}=-\partial^i ## , don't know how to show [itex]\partial_i = - \partial^i[/itex]. ( well since ##\eta## is diagonal I know I really have ##i=j## but to keep the index notation clear..)

In the usual tensor notation, [itex]\partial_\mu \equiv \sum_{\nu} \eta_{\mu \nu} \partial^\nu[/itex] where [itex]\eta_{\mu \nu}[/itex] is the metric tensor. So if [itex]\eta_{\mu \nu}[/itex] is diagonal with diagonal entries [itex](+1, -1, -1, -1)[/itex], then

[itex]\partial_t = \partial^t[/itex]
[itex]\partial_x = - \partial^x[/itex]
[itex]\partial_y = - \partial^y[/itex]
[itex]\partial_z = - \partial^z[/itex]

What is GR algebra pretty much (weak limit thm)?

GR algebra pretty much (weak limit thm) is a mathematical concept in the field of general relativity that helps to understand the behavior of weak gravitational fields. It is a mathematical formulation that describes the weak limit of Einstein's field equations.

How is GR algebra pretty much (weak limit thm) related to general relativity?

GR algebra pretty much (weak limit thm) is a key aspect of general relativity, as it helps to explain the behavior of weak gravitational fields. It is a mathematical tool used to study the effects of gravity on objects and the curvature of spacetime.

What is the significance of GR algebra pretty much (weak limit thm) in physics?

GR algebra pretty much (weak limit thm) is essential in understanding the foundations of general relativity and its applications in physics. It allows for the study of weak gravitational fields, which are critical in understanding many phenomena, such as the motion of planets and the bending of light by massive objects.

How is GR algebra pretty much (weak limit thm) different from other mathematical concepts in general relativity?

GR algebra pretty much (weak limit thm) is a specific mathematical formulation that focuses on the weak limit of Einstein's field equations. Other mathematical concepts in general relativity may focus on different aspects, such as the strong limit or the behavior of extreme gravitational fields.

What are some real-world applications of GR algebra pretty much (weak limit thm)?

GR algebra pretty much (weak limit thm) has many practical applications, including in GPS systems, the study of binary star systems, and the detection of gravitational waves. It is also used in cosmology to study the structure and evolution of the universe.