Line integral of a scalar function about a quadrant

In summary, the problem requires us to show that the line integral ##I = \int_C x^2y\;ds = \frac{1}{3}##, and the solution is approached in three ways: using (plane) polar coordinates, cartesian coordinates with x as the integral variable, and cartesian coordinates with y as the integral variable. While each approach yields the correct answer, drawing a diagram can be helpful in visualizing the problem. Additionally, it is important to pay attention to the signs when dealing with line integrals.
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Show that ##\pmb{\int_C x^2y\; ds = \frac{1}{3}}## where ##C## is the circular arc in the first quadrant of the unit circle.
Relevant Equations
(1) The line element ##ds^2=dx^2+dy^2\Rightarrow ds = \sqrt{1+\left( \frac{dy}{dx} \right)^2} dx## in cartesian coordinates.
(2) The line element ##ds = a d\phi##, where ##a## is the radius of the circle, in polar coordinates. (Here ##a=1\Rightarrow ds = d\phi##).
(3) The equation of the quadrant is : ##x^2 + y^2 = 1## with ##0\le (x,y) \le 1##
line integral.png

Problem : We are required to show that ##I = \int_C x^2y\;ds = \frac{1}{3}##.

Attempt : Before I begin, let me post an image of the problem situation, on the right. I would like to do this problem in three ways, starting with the simplest way - using (plane) polar coordinates.

(1) In (plane) polar coordinates : Remembering that the radius of the (circular) quadrant is 1 (##a=1##), we have the replacements : ##x = \cos \phi\,\, , y = \sin \phi\;\; , ds = d\phi##. The limits of the integral vary from ##\phi = 0\rightarrow \pi/2##, where (I assume) that the quadrant is navigated in an anti- clockwise manner.

Hence the line integral ##I = \int_{0}^{\pi/2} \cos^2 \phi \sin\phi \; d\phi##. Choosing ##z=\cos\phi## makes ##dz = -\sin \phi d\phi## and the limits going from 1 to 0. Our integral becomes ##I = - \int_1^0 z^2 dz = \int_0^1 z^2 dz = \frac{z^3}{3}\Biggr|_0^1 = \boxed{\frac{1}{3}}##, which yields the answer easily.

##\boxed{\text{This is where I run into a small problem}}##

(2) Using cartesian coordinates with x as the integral variable : The line integral ##I = \int_C x^2 y \; ds##. My aim is to convert everything inside the integral sign into the variable ##x##. Clearly, ##y = \sqrt{1-x^2}##, from the equation of the (circular) quadrant. As for ##ds^2=dx^2+dy^2\Rightarrow ds = \sqrt{1+\left( \frac{dy}{dx} \right)^2} dx##. Using ##y=\sqrt{1-x^2}\Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{-x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}##. This makes sense because the slope of the ##ds## is negative in the first quadrant (see small black line in picture representing the direction of ##ds##).
Thus ##1+\left (\frac{dy}{dx} \right)^2 = 1+\frac{x^2}{1-x^2} = \frac{1}{1-x^2}##. Thus, we have ##ds = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx\Rightarrow yds = dx##.

Putting the information from above, the integral ##I = \int_{x=1}^{x=0} x^2 dx = \boxed{-\frac{1}{3}}##
(which is wrong by the minus ##-## sign}.

A hint or help would be welcome.

##\boxed{\text{Curiously, things work out fine if I use cartesian coordinates treating y as the integral variable}}##

(3) Using cartesian coordinates with y as the integral variable : The line integral ##I = \int_C x^2 y \; ds##. My aim is to convert everything inside the integral sign into the variable ##y##. Clearly, ##x = \sqrt{1-y^2}\Rightarrow x^2 = 1-y^2##, from the equation of the (circular) quadrant. As for ##ds^2=dx^2+dy^2\Rightarrow ds = \sqrt{1+\left( \frac{dx}{dy} \right)^2} dy##. Using ##x=\sqrt{1-y^2}\Rightarrow \frac{dx}{dy} = \frac{-y}{\sqrt{1-y^2}}##. Thus ##\left( 1+\frac{dx}{dy} \right)^2 = 1+\frac{y^2}{1-y^2} = \frac{1}{1-y^2}##. Thus, we have ##ds = \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1-y^2}}##.
The integral ##I = \int_0^1 \sqrt{1-y^2}ydy##. Putting ##1-y^2 = z^2\Rightarrow -ydy = zdz##, which yields ##I = -\int_1^0 z^2 dz = \boxed{\frac{1}{3}}##,
again yielding the required answer.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
From
[tex]ds^2=dx^2+dy^2[/tex]
[tex]|ds|= \sqrt{1+(\frac{dx}{dy})^2}|dx|[/tex]
We see in the drawing that increasing s corresponds to decreasing x so
[tex]ds= -\sqrt{1+(\frac{dx}{dy})^2}dx[/tex]

Likes Delta2 and docnet
anuttarasammyak said:
From
[tex]ds^2=dx^2+dy^2[/tex]
[tex]|ds|= \sqrt{1+(\frac{dx}{dy})^2}|dx|[/tex]
We see in the drawing that increasing s corresponds to decreasing x so
[tex]ds= -\sqrt{1+(\frac{dx}{dy})^2}dx[/tex]
line-integral-png.png

Thank you. Yes I see that an increasing ##s## leads to a decreasing ##x## in the anti-clockwise way we go around the curve ##C##. At the same time, an increasing ##s## leads to an increasing ##y## which is why can write that ##ds=+\sqrt{1+\left( \frac{dx}{dy}\right)^2} dx##.

While I agree with you, you will note how crucial is the diagram (image) for solving the problem. We cannot rely on known formulas only. Would you recommend the drawing of diagrams as essential for problems involving line (and surface) integrals?

I wouldn't say drawing diagrams is essential, but it's often very helpful so I encourage students to make a sketch to help visualize what they're doing.

In this case, you can tell that ##dx < 0## from the limits on the integral. Since ##ds## should be positive, you need to insert the minus sign to get the signs to work out correctly.

We are looking first quadrant only but the formula is wise enough to cover a whole circle in all the four quadrants.

for ds >0
1st quadrant : dx< 0 dy >0
2nd quadrant : dx< 0 dy <0
3rd quadrant : dx> 0 dy <0
4th quadrant : dx> 0 dy >0

To draw a sketch is a good way to convince ourselves that we are in the right track in spite of these complex patterns.

Last edited:

1. What is a line integral of a scalar function about a quadrant?

A line integral of a scalar function about a quadrant is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the total value of a scalar function along a curve in a specific region of the xy-plane, known as a quadrant. It involves breaking the curve into small segments and summing up the values of the function at each point along the curve.

2. How is a line integral of a scalar function about a quadrant different from a regular line integral?

A line integral of a scalar function about a quadrant is different from a regular line integral in that it only considers a specific region of the xy-plane, whereas a regular line integral can be calculated over any curve in any region of the plane. Additionally, in a line integral about a quadrant, the curve is broken into segments that lie entirely within the quadrant, whereas a regular line integral may involve segments that cross into other regions.

3. What is the purpose of calculating a line integral of a scalar function about a quadrant?

The purpose of calculating a line integral of a scalar function about a quadrant is to determine the total value of the function along a specific curve in a specific region of the xy-plane. It can be used to solve various real-world problems, such as calculating work done by a force or finding the mass of a thin wire with varying density.

4. What are some applications of line integrals of scalar functions about a quadrant?

Line integrals of scalar functions about a quadrant have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to calculate work done by a force, calculate the mass of a thin wire with varying density, or find the center of mass of an object with non-uniform density.

5. What are some techniques for calculating a line integral of a scalar function about a quadrant?

There are several techniques for calculating a line integral of a scalar function about a quadrant, including the use of parametric equations, the fundamental theorem of calculus, and Green's theorem. Additionally, the integral can be approximated using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule.