1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GR Lie Derivative of metric vanish <=> metric is independent

1. Jul 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How to show that lie deriviaitve of metric vanish ##(L_v g)_{uv}=0## <=> metric is independent of this coordinate, for example if ##v=\partial_z## then ##g_{uv} ## is independent of ##z## (and vice versa)

2. Relevant equation

I am wanting to show this for the levi-civita symbol as the connection i.e. metric compatability were we have ## \nabla_{a}g^{uv} =0 ## so the first term of ##(L_v g)_{uv}=0## vanishes trivially.

3. The attempt at a solution

##(L_ug)_{uv} = U^{\alpha}\nabla_{\alpha}g_{uv}+g_{u\alpha}\nabla_vU^{\alpha}+g_{\alpha v}\nabla_u U^{\alpha}## (1)

If the metric is independent of some coordinate, e.g ##z## then we have ## \partial_z g_{ab} =0## but , assuming metric compatibility ##\nabla_{\alpha}g_{uv}=0## anyway, so there's no need to split it up into the partial and connection term, which seemed to me the most obvious way and only way I can see to substitute the information of metric independence of (say) ##z## into (1)

So we have ##(L_ug)_{uv} = g_{u\alpha}\nabla_vU^{\alpha}+g_{\alpha v}\nabla_u U^{\alpha}##, where there are no derivatives on the metric in these two terms, so I'm pretty stuck..

Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2017 #2
    This is not so in general. You can have metric invariance along a vector which is not in one of the coordinate directions. The metric of an ordinary sphere is a example.
    So, you should try to show that vanishing of the Lie derivative of the metric along a vector ##\Rightarrow## metric is invariant along that vector.

4. Jul 18, 2017 #3

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First of all, the Lie derivative does not involve the connection, so it's actually the case that:

[itex](L_U g)_{\mu \nu} = U^\alpha \partial_\alpha g_{\mu \nu} + g_{\mu \alpha} \partial_\nu U^\alpha + g_{\alpha \nu} \partial_\mu U^\alpha[/itex]

The first term doesn't vanish in general (although the corresponding expression involving the covariant derivative does: [itex]U^\alpha \nabla_\alpha g_{\mu \nu} = 0[/itex])

Now, let's look at the special case where [itex]U[/itex] is a coordinate basis vector, [itex]e_\lambda[/itex], that means that [itex]U^\lambda = 1[/itex] and [itex]U^\alpha = 0[/itex] if [itex]\alpha \neq \lambda[/itex]. So for this particular choice of [itex]U[/itex], [itex]\partial_\mu U^\alpha = \partial_\nu U^\alpha = 0[/itex]. So we have:

[itex](L_U g)_{\mu \nu} = \partial_\lambda g_{\mu \nu} + 0 + 0[/itex]

5. Jul 20, 2017 #4
    perfect, thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted