1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General relativity, geodesic, KVF, chain rule covariant derivatives

1. Jun 25, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

To show that ##K=V^uK_u## is conserved along an affinely parameterised geodesic with ##V^u## the tangent vector to some affinely parameterised geodesic and ##K_u## a killing vector field satisfying ##\nabla_a K_b+\nabla_b K_a=0##

2. Relevant equations
    see above
    3. The attempt at a solution

Proof:

So the proof is to use the chain rule that ##\frac{d}{ds}= ## , where ##s## is some affine parameter:

## \implies \frac{dK}{ds}=V^{\alpha}\nabla_{\alpha}(K_uV^u)= V^u V^{\alpha}\nabla_{\alpha}K_u + K_u V^{\alpha}\nabla_{\alpha}V^u## ; first term is zero from KVF equation - antisymetric tensor multiplied by a symmetric tensor, and the second term is zero from the geodesic equation

MY QUESTION - this may be a stupid question, but concerning the order of the chain rule application since the covariant derivative operates on everything to the right...

How do you know to write ##\frac{d}{ds}=V^{u}\nabla_u## as a pose to ##\frac{d}{ds}=\nabla_uV^u##

In normal calculus when you use the chain rule, the order doesn't matter does it? For e.g ## \frac{d}{ds}=\frac{dx}{ds}\frac{d}{dx} = \frac{d}{dx}\frac{dx}{ds} ## ?

But if i try to apply the above proof writing ##\frac{d}{ds}=\nabla_uV^u## I get an extra non-zero term : ## K_uV^u\nabla_{\alpha}V^{\alpha}##

so the proof fails.

Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes it does.

4. Jun 26, 2017 #3
    I never knew this, what is the order?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted