GR vs SR: Which Theory Reigns Supreme in the Scientific World?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Lunct
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gr Important Sr
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Lunct
Messages
133
Reaction score
16
I have always been wondering whether GR is generally, see what I did there :), more important in terms of science than special relativity.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
More important in what way?
 
jtbell said:
More important in what way?
Sorry, I didn't phrase that correctly - did General relativity have more of an impact on science than special relativity?
 
Lunct said:
I have always been wondering whether GR is generally, see what I did there :), more important in terms of science than special relativity.
As the names suggest, GR expands on/supersedes SR.
 
GPS wouldn't be very accurate without a good theory of gravity. However, in the day to day life of scientists and engineers, SR definitely gets more use.