Grad School: Apply now & defer, or apply later?

In summary, the person is currently in their final year of undergraduate studies in Canada and plans to take a year off before applying to grad school in the US. They are considering whether to apply now and defer for a year or wait and apply later. They believe waiting will allow them to strengthen their application, but are concerned about appearing unfocused. They plan to move to Québec and teach English while also doing physics tutoring. They are also unsure if it's possible to defer acceptance for grad school and if it's a good idea to wait a year.
sir_manning
Hi all

I've got one more year left in my undergraduate degree at a Canadian university in physics. I'll be taking a year off after graduating before (hopefully) going to the US for grad school in synthetic biology. My question is, should I write the GRE and apply to grad school now and then defer a year, or do this next year?

I'd prefer waiting a year before applying simply because I think I can have a stronger application (more research experience, higher GPA, etc). However, I've already talked to one advisor who thought that applying on my year off would make me seem like a bit of an unfocussed flake. I'm planning on moving to Québec and teaching English at a school (while learning French). I'm also hoping to do some physics tutoring (though this will depend where I go). So it's not like I'm just staying drunk and stoned for a year or something like that.

Anyways, any thoughts? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are they mututally exclusive?

Could you not apply this year and plan to defer acceptance, and then if it doesn't work out they way you would like, apply the following year?

I think the big danger in waiting a year is that despite the best intentions, when you leave academia, it can often be difficult to get back in. People do do this. But many more attempt this, get into a comfortable position out in the real world, and decide they don't want to return to student life.

Maybe 'danger' isn't the right word though. I shouldn't imply that one path is better than the other.

If I am not accepted one year at a particular school, does this lower my chances of getting accepted the next year? I'm not worried about whether I'll go back to school or not, more about when I should apply.

Is there even such a thing as deferring for graduate school? I've never seen such a thing - you usually apply to start the program in a particular year. If you want to start a year later, you apply a year later.

Vanadium 50 said:
Is there even such a thing as deferring for graduate school?

I hadn't heard about it either, but my adviser seemed to think it was an option. I guess it's something to verify.

1. Should I apply to graduate school now and defer my enrollment, or wait to apply later?

It ultimately depends on your personal circumstances and goals. If you have a clear plan for how deferring will benefit you, then it may be a good option. However, if you are unsure about your plans or have other opportunities available, it may be best to wait and apply when you are ready to fully commit.

2. What are the potential benefits of deferring my enrollment in graduate school?

Deferring your enrollment can give you more time to gain relevant experience, save money, or explore other options. It can also allow you to take a break from academia and come back with a fresh perspective.

3. Will deferring my enrollment affect my chances of being accepted to graduate school?

It should not affect your chances, as long as you have a valid reason for deferring and communicate it clearly in your application. The admissions committee will evaluate your application based on your qualifications and potential, not on whether you choose to defer or not.

4. Can I defer my enrollment for any reason?

Most graduate schools have specific policies and guidelines for deferring enrollment. Some common reasons include health issues, financial hardship, or unexpected personal circumstances. It is important to check with the specific graduate program you are applying to for their deferral policies.

5. Are there any downsides to deferring my enrollment in graduate school?

Deferring may delay your progress towards your degree and may also impact your financial aid or scholarship opportunities. It is important to carefully consider the potential consequences before making a decision to defer.