Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad School: Is a disciplinary sanction for drinking a kiss of death?

1. Yes, it is the kiss of death.

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Maybe it is the kiss of death.

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. No, it is not the kiss of death.

11 vote(s)
    78.6%
  1. Nov 14, 2013 #1
    Hello wise physicists,

I didn't know who else to ask this question to - so I am posing it to other physics students and people who have been through the program, maybe even with a dilemma similar to mine.

I'm new here to the forums. Currently a 4th year Physics major at a top 10 undergrad program with a great GPA (>3.5) and great research experience and great extracurricular activities. Was getting a disciplinary sanction freshmen year for returning to the dorms intoxicated the kiss of death for my grad school applications?

I'm thinking I should give up all hope of getting into a top 10 graduate program if the disciplinary sanction question is asked (It is not asked specifically on them all, some only ask about academic dishonesty and crimes. The only thing that ever happened to me is this stupid night that resulted in the alcohol sanction). If it is the kiss of death, please just tell me now so I can accept the fact that my dream is crushed and stop being so emotionally troubled over this so I can focus on other programs.

Thanks everyone,
    Student that doesn't know what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not familiar with the academic system that much, and especially in your country, but I highly doubt that they would hold that against you. I mean, if that happened a few times or more recently, yes, maybe. But the people reviewing your application have been freshmen too, they know how "them kids" are when they get fresh into university. I think it would be very strange if they weighed a youth sin more heavily than your recent achievements (which sound fairly promising, as far as I can judge).

4. Nov 14, 2013 #3
    No, I've talked with people about this. I was put on probation my freshman year for drugs and none said it would be an issue since I've been good since then. In addition to that, what CompuChip said.

I should note that I wasn't charged with a misdemeanor or anything. I was on university probation.

5. Nov 14, 2013 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's not likely to be an issue.

6. Nov 19, 2013 #5
    Thank you for quelling my fears. =)

7. Nov 20, 2013 #6

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

I was sanctioned twice as an undergraduate, once for alcohol and once for drugs. I was an undergraduate at a mid-low (top ~60) tier school. I still got in somewhere in the top ~15 for grad school, though it's worth noting that no school that asked specifically about disciplinary infractions accepted me.

8. Nov 20, 2013 #7
    What!?. You're a college student and you once got drunk? My goodness! When I was in college, that never happened. Well actually it did, a lot. But I lived in a frat house after my freshman year. I can't imagine any graduate program holding that against you unless it's at Oral Roberts University or some such school.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  9. Nov 20, 2013 #8
    Yeah, when did this start? Disciplinary sanctions for getting drunk in college?!?!

10. Nov 20, 2013 #9
    When I first read the title, I thought a "Kiss of Death" might be some cool drink, maybe with liquid nitrogen.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  11. Nov 20, 2013 #10

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I agree, my goodness! Only once??????

World is coming to an end, I tell ya.

12. Nov 20, 2013 #11

Pythagorean

Gold Member

The college across the street from my University makes fun of our University because we don't have the party reputation that they do. We can be found working late in our office, drinking.

13. Nov 20, 2013 #12

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, being an old cynic, when I read the OP my first thought was "and then what did you do AFTER you came back drunk......"

Just being under the affluence of incohol doesn't sound like a big deal.

14. Nov 21, 2013 #13

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Possibly he was just underage?

15. Nov 21, 2013 #14

reenmachine

Gold Member

Wait a second...you can't drink while you live at the university during your free times? Or did I misunderstood something?

16. Nov 21, 2013 #15

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Some dorms don't allow you to be intoxicated or have alcohol on premises. Usually freshman dorms where everyone is under 21 anyway (in the US).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook