Grad schools associated with national labs

In summary: Thanks again for your help!In summary, your university doesn't need a relationship with a national lab as a whole in order to have research-based grad programs. However, your university might have professors with connections to national labs. You might need to ask your current professors for connections.
ehilge
Hey all, I'm starting my search for mechanical engineering grad schools and I could use a few suggestions. Just, so you know a bit about me, my current niche is in energy and I have experience in combustion research, but I've also always been interested in space-related work. Maybe I could even combine the two somehow. Ideally, I'd like to end up as a researcher for a national lab or NASA or something to that effect.

So my question is, what are some universities that have research based grad programs and have strong partnerships with national labs or other research organizations? Geographically, I'm looking at the mountain west/southwest regions. It appears that the Idaho National Lab, the National Renewable Energy Lab, and possibly Sandia do energy research, so those might be good places to start from but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your university doesn't necessarily need to have a relationship with a national lab as a whole. Often, the individual professors are the ones with the connections. So, pick an advisor who worked at a national lab at some point; he or she will know people who can give you an internship or help you with a collaborative project.

nuclear85 said:
Your university doesn't necessarily need to have a relationship with a national lab as a whole. Often, the individual professors are the ones with the connections. So, pick an advisor who worked at a national lab at some point; he or she will know people who can give you an internship or help you with a collaborative project.

Hmmm, I see what you're saying. I feel like I need to start deciding on some schools to research before I start looking for advisors though. How would I go about finding an advisor with connections to a particular lab? I'll be doing some asking around after I get back to school, but I'd like to take a more, well, systematic approach I suppose. I am an engineer after all :smile: At this point, I'd like to find some way to begin narrowing down my scope of potential schools.

As a corollary, I haven't really looked into how to actually find a graduate research advisor yet, so any advice on that topic would also be welcome. I have a feeling it will come back to trying to find connections with my current professors though.

1. What are some examples of grad schools associated with national labs?

Some examples of grad schools associated with national labs include MIT, Stanford, UC Berkeley, University of Michigan, and Cornell University.

2. What are the benefits of attending a grad school associated with a national lab?

Attending a grad school associated with a national lab can provide opportunities for hands-on research experience, access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, and connections to top researchers and professionals in the field.

3. How competitive is the application process for grad schools associated with national labs?

The application process for grad schools associated with national labs can be highly competitive, as these programs often attract top students and have limited spots available. It is important to have a strong academic background, relevant research experience, and compelling letters of recommendation.

4. Are there any specific requirements for applying to grad schools associated with national labs?

Specific requirements may vary for each grad school and national lab, but in general, applicants should have a strong background in the sciences and engineering, as well as relevant research experience and strong letters of recommendation. Some programs may also require standardized test scores such as the GRE.

5. Can students receive funding or scholarships for attending a grad school associated with a national lab?

Many grad schools associated with national labs offer funding opportunities for their students, including scholarships, grants, and research assistantships. Students should research and inquire about funding options during the application process.