1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grade 11 Energy Transformation with External Forces

Tags:
  1. May 6, 2015 #1
    1. Question.

A 15 kg child slides from rest, down a playground slide that is 4.0m long. The slide makes a 40degree angle with the horizontal. The child's speed at the bottom is 3.2 m/s. What was the force that the slide was exerting on the child?
    Answer: 75 N [up the slide]

2. My Attempt.

Ek = W = Efinal - Einitial
    *Einitial cancels out because the child was at rest right? So its 0m/s
    = 1/2(15kg)(3.2m/s)squared
    = 76.8 J

Then I did:

W = Ff(costheta)(deltad)
    Ff= W/(costheta)(deltad)
    = 76.8 J/(cos180)(4)
    = -19.2 N

3. Confusion:

I'm confused as to what I or like what my next step is? Could you explain what I might've done wrong or what I have to do after this and why? Maybe explain me the concept behind it?

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2015 #2
    The child may have been at rest, but are you sure that the child did not have any potential energy?

4. May 6, 2015 #3
    Oh yeah! I did Eg = mgh; I found the haight using sinelaw then plugged that in. Then I found the Kinetic energy and subtracted that from the Eg which was the W then used the equation W = Ff(costheta)(deltad) and thats how the I got the Force of Friction. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted