Grade 11 Energy Transformation with External Forces

In summary, the child slides down a 4.0m playground slide at a 40 degree angle with the horizontal. The child's final speed is 3.2 m/s and they have a mass of 15 kg. Using the equations for kinetic and potential energy, it can be determined that the force of friction exerted by the slide on the child is 19.2 N, directed up the slide.
Wajeeha
1. Question.

A 15 kg child slides from rest, down a playground slide that is 4.0m long. The slide makes a 40degree angle with the horizontal. The child's speed at the bottom is 3.2 m/s. What was the force that the slide was exerting on the child?
Answer: 75 N [up the slide]

2. My Attempt.

Ek = W = Efinal - Einitial
*Einitial cancels out because the child was at rest right? So its 0m/s
= 1/2(15kg)(3.2m/s)squared
= 76.8 J

Then I did:

W = Ff(costheta)(deltad)
Ff= W/(costheta)(deltad)
= 76.8 J/(cos180)(4)
= -19.2 N

3. Confusion:

I'm confused as to what I or like what my next step is? Could you explain what I might've done wrong or what I have to do after this and why? Maybe explain me the concept behind it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wajeeha said:
Ek = W = Efinal - Einitial
*Einitial cancels out because the child was at rest right? So its 0m/s

The child may have been at rest, but are you sure that the child did not have any potential energy?

AlephNumbers said:
The child may have been at rest, but are you sure that the child did not have any potential energy?

Oh yeah! I did Eg = mgh; I found the haight using sinelaw then plugged that in. Then I found the Kinetic energy and subtracted that from the Eg which was the W then used the equation W = Ff(costheta)(deltad) and that's how the I got the Force of Friction. Thanks!

1. What is energy transformation with external forces?

Energy transformation with external forces is the process in which energy is converted from one form to another through the use of external forces, such as mechanical work or heat transfer. This type of energy transformation is commonly seen in systems involving motion or heat transfer.

2. What are some examples of energy transformation with external forces?

Some examples of energy transformation with external forces include a car engine converting chemical energy into mechanical energy to move the car, a toaster converting electrical energy into heat energy to toast bread, and a solar panel converting light energy into electrical energy.

3. How is energy conserved during energy transformation with external forces?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. This means that during energy transformation with external forces, the total amount of energy in the system remains constant, although it may change forms.

4. What is the role of external forces in energy transformation?

External forces play a crucial role in energy transformation as they provide the means for energy to be converted from one form to another. Without external forces, energy transformation would not be possible, as there would be no way for energy to be transferred or converted.

5. How does energy transformation with external forces affect the environment?

Energy transformation with external forces can have both positive and negative effects on the environment. For example, the use of renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind energy, can help reduce carbon emissions and mitigate the effects of climate change. However, the extraction and use of non-renewable energy sources, such as fossil fuels, can have harmful impacts on the environment, such as air and water pollution.